JG-10 NL Review

manufacturer: Jack & Danny date: 03/08/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Jack & Danny: JG-10 NL
For a budget guitar, the sound is excellent. The overall sound is everything I ever needed of it with no need for any effects to fill the sound out. I'd recommend Jack & Danny to anyone looking for a cheap but good quality guitar.
 Features: 8.5
 7.4
 6.7
 6,211
reviews (2) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
JG-10 NL Reviewed by: GaryBillington, on january 11, 2012

Price paid: £ 109.99

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Purchased in about 2007, this guitar was an excellent specification for the money. All the usual EQ/volume controls you get with an electrocoustic, solid spruce Top, mahonany body, rosewood fretboard and even a fitted hard case. Considering a hardcase like that on it's own would often cost over half the total price I paid, it's hard to take find any reason to mark it down in this area. I don't know what make the tuners etc are, but 5 years later they're all still working as well as the day I bought the guitar. // 10

Sound: For a budget guitar, the sound is excellent. I bought it as a backup to my Crafter jumbo acoustic, and found very little difference in the sound quality between them. The EQ on the preamp is very responsive and provides excellent control over the output when plugged in, the overall sound is everything I ever needed of it with no need for any effects to fill the sound out. I just plugged the guitar directly into the PA system and it sounded great straight away. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup of the guitar was generally spot on. The intonation was fine with no fret buzz or any identifiable issues. 5 years later it's still in the same condition so it's obviously well built. It's only dropped a point because of some slight imperfections in the varnish on the head of the guitar. The body and neck of the guitar, including all the fretwork are all faultless. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I initially purchased this guitar to use as a backup to my main acoustic (a Crafter Je18-n) when I was playing in an acoustic duo, gigging several times each month. I liked this guitar so much the Crafter often ended up being the backup guitar with this one doing the bulk of the work. Although I'm not gigging anymore, this guitar has never let me down & 5 years later everything is still working as well as it was the day I bought it. // 9

Overall Impression: I only chose this guitar because of it's price when I was shopping around for a backup to my main acoustic. Considering how cheap it was, my expectations were extremely low but it very quickly took up the position as my first choice guitar. I'm still happy with it. I'd definitely buy another and I'd recommend Jack & Danny to anyone looking for a cheap but good quality guitar. // 9

JG-10 NL Reviewed by: Rocknrolla35, on march 08, 2013

Features: Don't really know, when and where was it made, but I must admit, that it's a pretty ok guitar for the cheap ones. It has 20 frets, 14 of them are easily accessible. The guitar is solid top (I think), without a cutaway. No electronics, just a simple Acoustic guitar. I dunno, was the gig bag with the guitar, or bought separately, but I think that it most likely came WITH the guitar. The gig bag is quite simple, it's made out of cloth, it also has 1 zipper. It's not much, but enough to carry this guitar here you need to. // 7

Sound: As you probably know, you can play whatever genre of music you want with any instrument you want. But still, if you judge this guitar as a cheap acoustic guitar, then it suits acoustic songs pretty well, it's okay for rock and metal ballads too. With bronze, medium size strings, then the guitar has a tone that is somewhat between warm and bright. Requires no amp. If you like to play solos with an acoustic guitar, then I must admit, that this guitar is ok for that, but it's better for rhythm stuff, because it's uncomfortable to play behind the 15th fret. However, it's not too hard to get pinch harmonics out of this guitar.(yeah I know, I sound like a pinc-harmonic-freak). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was okay, I didn't notice any BIG flaws. The only thing that is not really well, that the nut and bridge are made of, I think, comparatively soft, not very durable plastic. If you play a lot, then the bridge and the nut tend to REALLY wear out, and some cracks appear after some time. But then again, it's easy to fix. And yeah, there is a little flaw with tuning pegs - after prolonged use (roughly a few years) they wear out too. The metal used to make those pegs is probably a little to soft too. But then again - for a cheap guitar, it's quite okay. The action is only about 0,5 cm or about a 1/5 of an inch at the 12th fret. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing, even though, as I mentioned earlier, the nut, the bridge and tuning pegs are prone to wear out after some time, the guitar is durable enough to withstand live playing, whether you play out on a street to earn some cash, or play on a stage in pub/club. The strap buttons are quite solid. You can depend on it, and use on a gig pretty much without any backup. The finish though seems less durable. Over the years of my playing with this guitar, the finish on the body of guitar has pretty much withstanded my peaying, but the finish on the neck of the guitar has started to come off at some frets. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, it's okay for rock, acoustic, some metal (where the acoustic parts are played), some beginner jazz, and some classical. Also okay for some blues. I have been playing this with guitar, borrowing it from time to time, for a couple of years. If I'd be a beginner, had bought this guitar, and it would become lost/stolen, then I'd consider buying a new one. Other than the relatively short life of the nut and bridge, and not having a cutaway, there nothing to hate about this guitar, because it's good for a cheap guitar. The neck is quite comfy, the sound is good for a cheap guitar. // 7

Comments