Acoustic-Electric Review

manufacturer: JB Player date: 10/18/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

JB Player: Acoustic-Electric
 8.3
 8.8
 7.8
 4,640
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Acoustic-Electric Reviewed by: o0Monte0o, on october 18, 2010

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: It was made in 2010 in China by JB Player Guitars, a very unheard of (yet very reliable) guitar company. It has 20 frets, which I believe are standard. It's Acoustic/Electric with sliders on the top, they are: Presence, Middle, Bass, Treble, and Volume, along with a frequency adjustment. The neck/fretboard is made of a very dark wood while the rest is just pine I think. It's black with a very nice gloss finish, almost like car paint, but smoother. It doesn't contain an auto tuner (I use a Fender tuner), but it stays in tune for weeks before it goes down or up a little. It didn't come with anything, but it fits all straps. One problem I had is there is no place for the strap to be secured on the top of the neck. I usually put it around the tuning knob, which probably isn't good for it. // 8

Sound: It is acoustic, as I've said before, but don't let that discourage anyone who plays hard rock, because it can take quite a bit of abuse. I don't use an amplifier hardly ever because I don't need it, but the sound transition is perfect from guitar to amplifier, no change in sound at all. The ability to adjust Bass, Treble, ect is very cool. I have Martin copper (or brass?) strings on it, and it gives it a very bright sound. The strings it came with were the same way, but slightly flatter. When you buy it, I recommend getting strings that fit your playing style. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was perfect when I got it, nothing was out of place, except the strap button screws were a little loose. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would do coffee shops and small gigs, but no heavy metal stuff. She's very very reliable, except for the strap buttons, which have a tendency to slip the strap off. I would play it without a backup though. I could picture this lasting for 10+ years before the finish comes off. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is great for everyone. I play softer music, mostly country (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson) but I have played Three Days Grace songs on it with no difficulty. It isn't a Fender or an Obanez, but you definitely can't tell the difference. It's low cost, low maintenance, and high quality. // 9

Comments