000-12 Review

9.6
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
000-12 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 07, 2006

Purchased from: luthier

Features: This is a '06 000 size, made in Georgia by John Kinnaird. It is a 12 fret, slot head, all solid wood custom-made guitar. The top is adirondack spruce, the back and sides are ziracote and the neck and bindings are curly ash (along with abalone). It has a ziracote pyramid bridge, Gotoh tuners, and no electronics. A quality case was included. // 10

Sound: It was made for my fingerpicking style of playing, and was quite successful. There is a long sustain and a deep resonate sound, very complex, yet bright enough for treble definition. If you whale on it with a pick, it will not respond well, but fingerpicked, it sounds perfect right on up the neck. It has decent volume, which should increase as it opens up. I would call it just short of loud. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect setup, other than less than quite perfect contact between fingerboard in top upper bout (but it is solid). Action is great. You can make it barely buzz if you hit it hard enough, but in normal playing, this does not happen. Top and back are absolutely perfectly bookmatched. No flaws in finish, inlay, or construction. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I intend to gig with it, the only fear I have is that I might bang it into a mic by mistake. He forgot to supply strap buttons, so I'd better be sitting to play. The finish was well-done and I have no fears or reservations about anything on this guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all acoustic (Folk, gospel, bluegrass, blues, sea songs, old time country, + some that I and other have written) and have doone so for 46 years. I own a jumbo Goodall, a Martin 12-20, National Duollian, Weyman parlour, Moreira classic and scads of other stringed instruments. My research was well done beforehand and I have no regrets. If it suddenly vaporized, I might have another made, only slightly different, to see what else I could get. There is much to love about this guitar. I do not like the small side fingerboard markings: they do not stand out enough against the blond binding. // 10

Comments