KG1FMCEN review by Kona

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Kona: KG1FMCEN

The dreadnought is a good acoustic for us rockers who like to use picks. A very classic and sharp steel string tone. When plugged into an amp it sounds dreadful. I've played some Ibanez and Yamaha acoustic electrics, and the pickups in this Kona is terrible, you won't be using this guitar if you plan to play this through the most perfect amp.

Overall? I bought this guitar to help my songwriting because I can't write nothing when I use my electrics. This is my first acoustic guitar, but I've played a lot of different acoustics, and in my opinion it's just a matter of feel and how much you get used to it. I think it's a really good beginners guitar since it's easy to use (with the tuner), and it's quite a good guitar for it's price.

Live playing? Well, not through an amp please. As mentioned already, the Kona pickups sound dreadful. Most of the guitar looks durable, except for the bridge. To be honest, it sounds pretty good, I can play this in a gig, but I would always prefer a Taylor. Of course, for the price, I think it's a bargain. Oh, and the looks of this baby is gorgeous, I would always play until it wears off before I smash it on stage.

Like most other Made in China products, you name it, you won't expect the best quality from this guitar. The flame maple top, nice herringbona pattern binding look very nice, and especially the unique bird-shaped fretboard inlays. I can tell right away the raw nasty bits of unfinished wood inside the guitar, the cheap wood bridge that broke bit by bit everytime I changed strings, and the tiniest bit of imperfectness on the binding near the fretboard. Otherwise, the Kona Gold is pretty nice, the whole guitar is well laminated (on the outside of course, just don't look inside the body) and everything feels smooth and friendly. The string heights are very comfortable, and the overall shape of the guitar is very smooth. Anyone can grab this monster and stuff it under their arm and start playing without hesitation.

Made in 2007, exported to USA from China (that's why it's so cheap). Natural gloss dreadnought acoustic-electric guitar with laminated flame maple top, back, sides. Maple body and neck, very neat herringbona binding down the middle of the back. Chrome diecast tuners. The extra feature that comes with this Kona Gold Series dreadnought cutaway is that it comes with 4 band EQ and tuner and dual 1/4 XLR jacks. It also comes with a cleaning cloth, manual and 3 black pickguards.

Quantumdriven
    Hey dude or chick, is your headstock have binding? Just askin' 'cause my Signature Series Kona KG1CEN does. Anyway: I bought a new Kona KG1CEN acoustic/electric/chromatic tuner/cutaway at discountmuscianswarehouse for $199.99 no tax or shipping. My only complaint is that they did the fancy and unnecessary "binding" of the headstock of a more than slightly twisted neck up high in the first fret and 1/2 region. The administrator at KonaHome.com claims the the nut is "compensated," but I say they merely cut the nut slot from shallow to very deep on the GBE side to get their butt halfway out of a sling on that particular unit, lol. That being said it's a dang good guitar, so good that I invested in the JLD anti belly system so as to freeze its top in time forever and ever-- this was necessary, because as with most cheap guitars its saddle can't be shaved anymore without taking it below minimum specs on how much saddle should be above the bridge. True I could shave the bridge wood, but fer-cryin'-out-loud on a 7 month old guitar that's only got 1/32 inch of natural factory belly in it!?! So we're talkin' the proverbial bad neck-set here, okay? The bridge is fine and not sitting up like Ringo on a drum riser and the slot goes through to 1/64" from the soundboard. And on the matter with the twisted neck; it means that you'll never get the lowest playable action possible on your EAD string without buzzing on the first fret with your small E string. This is because it's impossible to compensate sand the bottom of a nut, okay? When I get the money I'll for sure be employing a proper Tech to get me a good Tusq nut up there and custom file my string slots to razor close action that accounts for the twist in the neck. And yes its truss rod was set reasonably accurate for slight "relief" at the factory. It's not like some retard tightened it like crazy and caused that twist. I also doubt very seriously that it's a "Solid Top" and I'm sickened at such claims. "Solid" as compared to what... Bounty tissue? Come on! You're not EVEN going to get a book-matched "Solid Top" from Kona unless they buy some of Gibson's rejected A-stock(as opposed to AAA-stock) solid blanks and they charge you at least $600 and hold you under contract to gig at least 15 times a month with their banner on your shirt, mic stand, and on the wall behind the amps. And gigging at the Daycare Center for your gf and friends don't count. But I must admit that the guitar is otherwise solid. No way that could be "tone wood" purfing and bracing in there but it was well done. And all the bracing is generously scalloped thin planks with sharply crowned tops, as opposed to the shamefully big Lincoln Logs some guitars throw in against their tops. But I will say they used some sort of fast drying shiny and non tonal synthetic glue... but hey, speed is the key and it IS a $199.99 no tax or shipping guitar. The chromatic tuner included on the EQ unit is great. I can't speak to the EQ 'cause I don't have an acoustic amp, so of course it sounds like crap through my Orange Crush 15R amp ran through a Digitech's acoustic model amp. Btw its EQ is called a Prener-LC whatever that is, and I say they missed the boat by not including a Bypass switch that would just let you take the raw pizo without the EQ-- zeroing out all the settings except for volume is not the same. Anyway I say nail down one of these babies if you dare. Maybe your neck wont be twisted. But if it is like I said a good Tech can custom cut you a nut and slots to account for that anomaly. I'm just a dirt poor sucker is why I haven't been to a Tech yet. And to be honest I'm afraid I'd break an "attitude" Tech's jaw if he rolled his eyes about my guitar that's, "...not worth what my fee to fix it is man..." Kaboom! --Sonney