KG1N review by Kona

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Kona: KG1N

Purchased from: Ebay

I play all kinds of music such as classic rock, grunge, modern rock, classic country, modern country, and I also dabble in some classical music such as Bach and Mozart. The guitar sounds fantastic! Not so much with the classical stuff, but of course it's not a classical guitar. I have a guitar just for that music. Back to the Kona. It has a loud, sharp, and accurate sound. It came with awesome D'Addario EXP light strings. The guitar simply sounds great!

I have only been playing for 3 years, but so far this is my favorite guitar of the 5 that I own. I fits most of the music I play. I love this guitar! The guitar is nice looking and I have gotten many comments on it when I take it places. Everybody says, "That is a sharp looking guitar! Who makes that? Kona? Who are they? What does it sound like?"

The guitar seems to be well built. I have only had it for 3 months. I can't really comment on the reliability and durability. I feel that this guitar should last a long time. It has a 10 year warranty from Kona. It was easy to register the guitar. You can do all of that from their website.

The guitar was set up nice from the factory. However, I have made some minor changes since I have had it. So far I changed the saddle out for a bone saddle. The one it came with was made from plastic. Also, I lowered the action just a fraction. The fit and finish is everything you would expect with a new guitar.

The KG1N is a dreadnought acoustic guitar made in China. It has a solid select spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides. There is an unfinished rosewood fret board and bridge. Personally I love that. I like it that the natural oils in your fingers finish the fretboard off over the life of the guitar as you play it. The rest of the guitar is finished with a high gloss look. The back and front appear to be "book matched". It is a really sharp looking guitar.

chadbo
    I feel I must add to my review about the price of the guitar. This guitar normally retails from $179.99 to $229.99 on various websites. I purchased it for $109 only because it was an auction on Ebay in which I was the highest bidder. Thanks. If you go to Kona's website, the actual reviews from other users is 3.5 out of 5. I feel my review is "inline" with the average guitar player.
    Quantumdriven
    I bought a new Kona KG1CEN acoustic/electric/chromatic tuner/cutaway at discountmuscianswarehouse for $199.99 no tax or shipping. My only complaint is that they did the fancy and unnecessary "binding" of the headstock of a more than slightly twisted neck up high in the first fret and 1/2 region. The administrator at KonaHome.com claims the the nut is "compensated," but I say they merely cut the nut slot from shallow to very deep on the GBE side to get their butt halfway out of a sling on that particular unit, lol. That being said it's a dang good guitar, so good that I invested in the JLD anti belly system so as to freeze its top in time forever and ever-- this was necessary, because as with most cheap guitars its saddle can't be shaved anymore without taking it below minimum specs on how much saddle should be above the bridge. True I could shave the bridge wood, but fer-cryin'-out-loud on a 7 month old guitar that's only got 1/32 inch of natural factory belly in it!?! So we're talkin' the proverbial bad neck-set here, okay? The bridge is fine and not sitting up like Ringo on a drum riser and the slot goes through to 1/64" from the soundboard. And on the matter with the twisted neck; it means that you'll never get the lowest playable action possible on your EAD string without buzzing on the first fret with your small E string. This is because it's impossible to compensate sand the bottom of a nut, okay? When I get the money I'll for sure be employing a proper Tech to get me a good Tusq nut up there and custom file my string slots to razor close action that accounts for the twist in the neck. And yes its truss rod was set reasonably accurate for slight "relief" at the factory. It's not like some retard tightened it like crazy and caused that twist. I also doubt very seriously that it's a "Solid Top" and I'm sickened at such claims. "Solid" as compared to what... Bounty tissue? Come on! You're not EVEN going to get a book-matched "Solid Top" from Kona unless they buy some of Gibson's rejected A-stock(as opposed to AAA-stock) solid blanks and they charge you at least $600 and hold you under contract to gig at least 15 times a month with their banner on your shirt, mic stand, and on the wall behind the amps. And gigging at the Daycare Center for your gf and friends don't count. But I must admit that the guitar is otherwise solid. No way that could be "tone wood" purfing and bracing in there but it was well done. And all the bracing is generously scalloped thin planks with sharply crowned tops, as opposed to the shamefully big Lincoln Logs some guitars throw in against their tops. But I will say they used some sort of fast drying shiny and non tonal synthetic glue... but hey, speed is the key and it IS a $199.99 no tax or shipping guitar. The chromatic tuner included on the EG unit is great. I can't speak to the EQ 'cause I don't have an acoustic amp, so of course it sounds like crap through my Orange Crush 15R amp ran through a Digitech's acoustic model amp. Btw its EQ is called a Prener-LC whatever that is, and I say they missed the boat by not including a Bypass switch that would just let you take the raw pizo without the EQ-- zeroing out all the settings except for volume is not the same. Anyway I say nail down one of these babies if you dare. Maybe your neck wont be twisted. But if it is like I said a good Tech can custom cut you a nut and slots to account for that anomaly. I'm just a dirt poor sucker is why I haven't been to a Tech yet. And to be honest I'm afraid I'd break an "attitude" Tech's jaw if he rolled his eyes about my guitar that's, "...not worth what my fee to fix it is man..." Kaboom! --Sonney