Concert review by La Patrie

La Patrie: Concert

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Shop in downtown Kitchener

Very mellow sound. Lows and mids are very rich, with lows perhaps a bit too boomy because of the Cedar top. The highs are also a bit flat--I'd like them to ring out more. I don't think I'd be too ashamed to play concerts with it, assuming I had the virtuosity.

I play all styles on it, even classical! But seriously, I play a little classical, but a lot of the time I just strum rock, Folk and country though I think the cutaway version would be better for those styles. Overall I'm very happy with this guitar, although if it were lost or stolen, I might rather have one with a spruce top for more brilliant highs. Also, it's a Canadian guitar - so why not use Canadian wood for the whole thing, like Maple for the back and sides? Save the rainforests! If I get another Canadian-made guitar, I'd like one with all Canadian wood. Mine is a lefty which I believe is available on all models at no extra charge. La Patrie deserves extra points for that alone. Probably one of the best classical guitars for the price - excellent quality, excellent value and made in Canada!

The bolts holding on the neck got loose. To get at them I had to tear away a piece paper covering them. The tuner bolts may also have gotten loose, but this is pretty normal. Haven't had any other problems with it yet. At the moment it's the best guitar I own so I'm hoping it will last a long time yet. I've taken it any number of places gig bag slung over my back while riding on a bicycle, so I think it would stand up well to touring.

Construction is flawless. I did have problems at first with the high action. This may have been why it was sold to begin with. But it's extremely easy to adjust because of the truss rod and simple, straight bridge (you can actually just slide it sideways to lower it instead of sanding it down if you don't mind the asymmetry).

Bought it used from a second-hand shop, so I'm not sure the exact year. It's pretty new I think. Handmade in Canada with solid Cedar top, solid mahogany back and sides. Newer style classical with a truss rod to easily adjust the action even down very low for Spanish/Flamenco style. Tuners are pretty cheap, but I haven't had any problems with them yet. In any case, these are easily replaced. Plain, no-nonsense construction. For the price, you can't beat this quality.