T100D review by Lag

Lag: T100D

Purchased from: Hot Licks Guitar Store

This is a light, amazing dreadnought guitar. It is fairly an uncommon sight in the U.S. and the looks of it is striking. It is made I believe in 2014. It's a China-made guitar, but don't let that fool you because it sounds really good. It has 20 frets, the neck is thin (feels like an electric). It is not chunky like a Martin, a bit more like a Taylor neck. It sports a solid red cedar top with the back and sides made of laminate African sapele. The back is kinda sloped, which helps with projection. The neck is made of mahogany with a French satin finish. The headstock is Solid Indonesian Rosewood, with a Lag Maple Logo.The tuners are Lag's own tuner, with a Satin Black tulip design. It did not come with a case when I purchased it at my guitar shop.

This guitar is surprisingly balanced. It is very mellow, as most cedar tops are. It is not "boomy" nor it sounds like a tin can. The bass is not over powering, although I would have liked more bass here. I was actually surprised at its projection and how it still manages to sound really articulate. It is good for strumming and shines at picking. I don't like fingerpicking with this though, it sounds to mellow then. Strum it too hard though and it becomes treble-y. I would not recommend this to hard strummers. It has a good midrange. I am planning on putting a Fishman Infinity Matrix so when I perform on bars the crowd can hear how good it sounds.

The factory set-up was pretty much spot on, when it was inspected by the guitar shop I bought it. The string height and tension was just right, plays like a dream. The neck was also straight. The book match is pretty good, although there was a slight difference when I looked at the top closely. It still looked uniform, so I can't really complain about that. I could not see any flaw in the high gloss finish. It is very beautiful and smooth. The black graphite nut and saddle were pretty good, they were not sharp nor it had any other issues.

I've performed with this guitar live and it can definitely withstand live playing. I mic'd it since it didn't have any electronics, which pissed off the soundguy but whatever. It sounded alright with the micro they had, it did the job but I wish I could hear more of the natural sound of this guitar. The hardwares are durable. I really like how the tuners feel and look, it does not look cheap or feels cheap. The black strap buttons are pretty solid. I use this guitar to record my songs and covers, and it sounds excellent. The finish seems to last, it is not showing any signs of fading after 2 weeks with at least 4 hours of playing everyday.

I play acoustic alternative/indie pop music and the sound of this balanced guitar is just what I was looking for. This is good for strumming and amazing for picking. I tried a Taylor GS Mini, although it sounded really sweet it was just too bright. The mahogany version was probably close to sounding like the Lag. I've been playing for five years and this is my second acoustic guitar. I've tried other guitars (Taylors, Gibsons, and Martins even way above my price range) but for some reason this guitar just clicked to me. If this was stolen, I would probably buy the electric acoustic version of this, the T100DCE.