LDG-RA04CS 'Lava' Series review by Lindo

Lindo: LDG-RA04CS 'Lava' Series

Purchased from: Amazon.co.uk

This guitar is a brand new design by custom guitar specialists Lindo Guitars. This is probably the best looking acoustic I have ever seen with a red and orange swirling effect on the front and headstock, giving the guitar its name. There is no scratch-plate to further show off the design. The rest of the features are pretty standard: rosewood bridge with ABS pins, A-4T 4 band EQ with built in tuner and orange LED screen, 20 frets with no body cutaway, gold plated metal parts and medium gauge bronze wounds strings. The main aim for this guitar is to look stunning, it has the same sort of hardware you might find on a guitar for half the price. It came with a cheap bag but it wasn't padded so I bought a new one. I use its original bag too keep the dust off my Spanish guitar.

This guitar doesn't sound particularly special but it does differ from most other acoustics as it has an unusual body shape. It may look similar to a jumbo acoustic but in fact, its quite small and not very deep. This shape keeps the volume of the range of frequencies relatively constant with quieter bass notes and louder treble against a typical dreadnought bodied guitar. The EQ can change this if deeper bass notes are needed. I typically use it with a Belcat 25C acoustic amp (you should find my review on the site) and there is little to no background noise. The sound from the strings is perfectly transferred through the amp. There is so much variety for this guitar its hard to get your head round it. I typically use it as my main guitar when preforming covers and writing my own music, I typically play acoustic rock, country and folk music.

When the guitar arrived, I was amazed at the overall build quality, everything fitted together so well you couldn't measure the mistakes in nanometres. All the frets were properly sanded and there was no cosmetic damage on the ABS binding around the body. The only trouble I had was the truss rod. The action was marginally too low, not so low that it makes it unplayable, just a minor inconvenience. This has been sorted by my friends music teacher. Overall absolutely zero flaws in the guitars quality on arrival.

I have gigged with this guitar twice since receiving it and it survived (unlike my friend accompanying me with a Fender Strat, the strap did not fall off halfway through the performance!). The lack of scratch-plate does mean you need to be careful when playing with a pick, so you don't damage the beautiful finish. The EQ, unusually, has a sort of thin rubber padding so this is built to last. This is a very good stage guitar that wows the crowd so it is useful for busking to grab peoples attention. At a gig I would probably use a backup guitar but not this one. Any other cheap guitar would sound the same so why waste your money on two of these?

This is the main guitar I am using to record my test album "I Also Play Bass," I have had it since December last year and the verdict still stands: the coolest guitar I have ever owned. Everything turned out better than I expected when I ordered it, arriving in less than 3 days. Within my original budget of £150 I was going to get a Les Paul style electric but I saw this and couldn't help myself. If it was broken or stolen, I would buy a new one straight away, it's like my signature guitar! The only thing I wish it had was more frets and a cutaway. Come on Lindo Guitars! Lava Series 2!

Unossofrus
    I have now added a permanent single coil pickup to the soundhole of my guitar to make up for the fact that I didn't spend my money on an electric.