000-15 review by Martin

Martin: 000-15

Purchased from: Thomann Cyberstore

This instrument is a really great sounding one. The solid wood construction guarantees a rich tone, while the mahogany body gives the guitar a darker sound with deep, full bass with good midrange overtones and thin treble. It is a great instrument for blues and folk and could even been used as a slide guitar (I prefer glass slides'sound with it). It is a mostly fingerpicking guitar, as it's difficult to make maximum use of it's wonderfull bass tones with a pick. If you want an acoustic guitar for strumming I recommend you go for one with a spruce top. The sound is definately a 10 for the music styles mentioned above, however because it doesn't respond as well to all different styles I'll give it a 9.

I have been playing guitar for about 3 years and got to admit that from all the guitars I have owned/played/heard this is my favorite one. A great hand built instrument and if you are looking for a top quality acoustic with no extremes in price then I recommend you give this one a look.

The "Martin" tag on it can be a lifetime warranty. It is said that solid wood guitars are like wines-they get better as they old. Solid wood guitars also get even better sounding through the years as the wood seasons, however, they require more care and the included hard shell case should help you do that. For live playing I think the use of a mic, even for small/medium audiences, because even though the body is jumbo style made, it's auditorium sized.

As you'd probably expect from a Martin, the craftsmanship is professionally done. No buzzes or rattles when you check the joints and the guitar plays well as it comes from the factory. The mahogany neck can initially be hard to get used to, especially if you played a maple one before. No flaws at constuction at all.

Manufactured in USA, Nazareth, Pennsylvania. Mine was made in 2007. Neck solid mahogany, bridge & fingerboard solid east indian rosewood, 20 frets(14 clear). The neck is 1 11/16 wide at the nut and has a 25.4 scale. Back, sides and top are all solid mahogany with satin finish. Martin chrome tuners, auditorium size body. Hard shell case included.

PacinoPacino
    I came across a guitar in Denmark Street, London around 2004. It was one of a few left handed guitars in the shop that I could play. It was a Martin. At the time, I only knew about the make but had never played or owned one - so what was I to expect from this smallish and relatively simple guitar? The first thing I noticed was the smell of wood. Then, on strumming it for the first time I was amazed and surprised at the sound coming out of this smaller than average guitar. I just could not believe the volume and the sheer quality of sound. I looked at the price tag (Oh!!!) and with some disappointment, walked out of the shop with my first experience of a Martin. Since then, I had played and bought various guitars and the Martin I had once played in a music store was just a happening from the past until (fast forward to 2010) when quite by chance, I came across a 00015 l/h on ebay... described "as new" from a very careful owner. At the time, I did not relate the advertised guitar to the martin I had played some years before but once I received it and took it out of it's case....I remembered the smell of the wood and the sound. My god... dejavu .... the same experience, the same sound, smell I witnessed several years before and now it was (and still is) mine. .
    failsaferemedy
    I have this guitar, made in 1951. It's really awesome. All I have to do is lower the action a bit and this will be my main acoustic for solo gigs.
    st4m
    the d-15 has different body shape and shize actually
    sadistic_monkey
    I have a J15, absolutely gorgeous and I agree with that thing about the action, it's pretty high.
    Kevin97220
    omg this guitar is on sale at my local shop for $600!!(pre-owned in good shape) No money :[