000-16RGT Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 02/05/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Martin: 000-16RGT
16 series auditorium-body acoustic guitar featuring a spruce top, Rosewood sides and back and a rosewood fingerboard. Includes a free Martin hardshell case.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 9,621
reviews (3) user comments vote for this gear:
000-16RGT Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 20, 2005

Purchased from: Dietze Music

Features: - Model: 00-16RGT - Construction: Mortise/Tenon neck joint - Body size: 000-14 fret - Top: solid sitka spruce - Rosette: bold herringbone w/single D-18 ring on each side of herringbone - Top bracing pattern: 0001 hybrid - Top braces: 1 style/scalloped - Back material: solid east indian rosewood - Back purfling: none - Side material: solid east indian rosewood - Endpiece: white Boltaron - Endpiece inlay: black/white Boltaron - Binding: white Boltaron - Top inlay style: B/W/B/W/B Boltaron - Side inlay: none - Back inlay: none - Neck material: solid spanish Cedar - Neck shape: modified low oval - Nut material: white Corian - Headstock: solid/6 string no diamond/standard taper - Headplate: solid indian rosewood - Heelcap: solid east indian rosewood - Fingerboard material: black Micarta - Scale length: 25.4" - 20 frets - Fingerboard width at nut: 1 11/16" - Fingerboard width at 12th fret: 2 1/8" - Fingerboard position inlays: style 28 - Fingerboard binding: white Boltaron - Finish back & sides: satin / dark filler - Finish top: polished gloss - Finish neck: semi gloss/ dark mahogany stain/ dark filler - Bridge material: black Micarta - Bridge style: 1 style Belly - Bridge string spacing: 2 1/8" - Saddle: compensated white tusq - Tuning machines: chrome w/ small knobs - Recommended strings: Martin MSP 4100 Light Phosphor Bronze - Bridge & end pins: white w/ black dots - Pickguard: I-02 tortoise color - Case: 330 hard shell - Interior label: paper label - Electronics: optional - Other options: available left-handed at no additional charge - Other comments: all prices & specifications are subject to change without notice. // 8

Sound: I play jazz and blues for the most part, with plenty of '60s and '70's rock mixed in. I was looking for a hollow body electric jazz box when I found this guitar. I owned a Martin D-15 acoustic at the time and thought the tone wasn't bright enough for me. I was totally disgusted with all the hollow body electrics I tried out so I started picking up and playing some flat top acoustics. At Dietze Music I found the Martin 000-RGT and was floored by the tone. I think I got lucky with this one. I don't think they all will sound as good as the one I found. As I was playing it at the store a guy came by and stood there for a while. I asked if I was in his way and he said "No, I'm just enjoying the tone of that guitar." I traded my D-15 and took it home. The 000-RGT I bought is magically responsive and has a fantastic bass punch with incredible sustain. It was really a no brainer. I'm glad I got it before somebody else did. A few weeks later I talked to the manager of the store and told him what I had bought. He said it was the best sounding guitar they've ever had in the store and he seemed a little bit pissed off that I bought it before he could raise the money to get it for himself. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I noticed the top wood is very slightly rippley, not perfectly flat. I e-mailed Martin about it and they said the top should be slightly bowed up at the bridge. They didn't seem to think it was a problem. The gloss finish on the top is very thin. The matte finish on the back and sides looks perfect. Beautifully figured woods on the body and neck. The action was unacceptably low from the factory for my playing style. The strings buzzed against the frets with only moderate plucking force. I got some shims from Deitze Music for free and raised the action to eliminate the problem. The fit on all parts is exceptional. I do have a gripe with the filing on the nut. The strings sometimes bind there and I am using the factory recommended light guage strings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a fine and delicate musical instrument. It should stay in it's case and in controlled humidity and when it's not being played. Acoustic guitars need special care and this one is no exception. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing the guitar since 1974 and didn't get good at it until about 1979. I was completely clueless about tone and playability until I got older. I relied on brand name mystique for a long time. Well I'm here to tell you that the brand name means nothing within some limits. Sound and playability are everything. This guitar could have been a Takamine or any other good brand and it just happened to be Martin. When you find an instrument that sounds and plays the way you want it to, grab it! I believe that you may have a better chance of finding a really fine instrument by choosing a name known for quality, but even Martin makes dead sounding instruments, but when Martin gets it right, it's heaven to the fingers and ears! I was just lucky to find an especially great guitar. // 10

000-16RGT Reviewed by: Velvet_catfish, on january 27, 2005

Purchased from: myfavoriteguitars.com

Features: - Model 00-16RGT - Construction: Mortise/Tenon Neck Joint - Body size: 000-14 Fret - Top: Solid Sitka Spruce - Rosette: Bold Herringbone w/Single D-18 Ring On Each Side Of Herringbone - Top bracing pattern: 0001 Hybrid - Top braces: 1 Style/Scalloped - Back material: Solid East Indian Rosewood - Side material: Solid East Indian Rosewood - Endpiece: White Boltaron - Endpiece inlay: Black/White Boltaron - Binding: White Boltaron - Top inlay style: Multiple Black / White - Neck material: Solid Spanish Cedar - Neck shape: Modified Low Oval - Nut material: White Corian - Headstock: Solid/6 String No Diamond/Standard Taper - Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood /Gold Foil Logo - Heelcap: Solid East Indian Rosewood - Fingerboard material: Black Micarta - Scale length: 25.4" - 20 frets - Fingerboard width at nut: 1 11/16'' - Fingerboard width at 12th fret: 2 1/8'' - Fingerboard position inlays: Style 28 - Fingerboard binding: White Boltaron - Finish back & sides: Satin / Dark Filler - Finish top: Polished Gloss - Finish neck: Semi Gloss/ Dark Mahogany Stain/ Dark Filler - Bridge material: Black Micarta - Bridge style: 1 Style Belly - Bridge string spacing: 2 1/8'' - Saddle: Compensated White Tusq - Tuning machines: Chrome w/ Small Knobs - Recommended strings: Martin MSP 4100 Light Phosphor Bronze - Bridge & end pins: White w/ Black Dots - Pickguard: I-02 Tortoise Color - Case: 330 Hard Shell - Interior label: Paper Label - Electronics: optional - Made in Nazareth Pennsylvania // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect for fingerstyle player's as well as the occasional flatpicker. The 000-body sized Martin's are very comfortable to play for long periods. The 00-16RGT is surprisingly loud and balanced for it's modest size, great bass response and clear high's. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar's action was perfect from the factory (very low with no buzz). The frets were finished properly and had no edge issues. The nut was filed properly as there is no binding when tuning. The finish was perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I work for a Railroad and take this guitar with me on every trip. I have had no issues with this guitar or its TKL case (made exclusively for Martin). I do take precautions like not exposing it to extreme temps in the winter or summer (never leave your guitar in freezing temp and take it inside and open the case to warm it faster, the rapid temp change will harm your finish and glue joints). // 10

Overall Impression: Fingerstyle blues & flatpicking I play everything from Lightnin' Hopkins to Staind and back again. I love the guitars tone and response! Martin guitars are always a good investment and I highly recommend this instrument! This guitar's body shape and dimensions are no different than an Eric Clapton signature 00-28 except for the shape of the neck, and it cost's considerably less. It's an american made all solid wood instrument. // 10

000-16RGT Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 05, 2009

Features: I believe it was made in 2006 (in the USA of course). Construction: Mortise/Tenon Neck Joint Body Size: 000-14 Fret Top: Solid Sitka Spruce Rosette: Bold Herringbone Top Bracing Pattern: 0001 Hybrid Top Braces: 1 Style/Scalloped Back Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood Back Purfling: none Side Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood Endpiece: White Boltaron Endpiece Inlay: Black/White Boltaron Binding: White Boltaron Top Inlay Style: Multiple Black / White Side Inlay: none Back Inlay: none Neck Material: Select Hardwood Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval Nut Material: White Corian Headstock: Solid/6 String No Diamond/Standard Taper Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood /Raised Gold Foil Logo Heelcap: Solid East Indian Rosewood Fingerboard Material: Black Micarta Scale Length: 25.4'' # Of Frets Clear: 14 # Of Frets Total: 20 Fingerboard Width At Nut: 1 11/16'' Fingerboard Width At 12th Fret: 2 1/8'' Fingerboard Position Inlays: Style 28 Fingerboard Binding: White Boltaron Finish Back & Sides: Satin Finish Top: Polished Gloss ; Sunburst available at additional cost. Finish Neck: Semi Gloss/ Dark Mahogany Stain Bridge Material: Black Micarta Bridge Style: 1 Style Belly Bridge String Spacing: 2 1/8'' SADDLE: Compensated White Tusq Tuning Machines: Chrome w/ Small Knobs Recommended Strings: Martin MSP 100 Light Phosphor Bronze Bridge & End Pins: White w/ Black Dots Pickguard: I-02 Tortoise Color Case: 330 Hard Shell Interior Label: Paper Label // 10

Sound: I play a variety of music. Anything from Zepplin, Radiohead, The Beatles, Tom Petty, Kings of Convinience, The Strokes, John Mayer, Clapton, to bluegrass. It easily fits all my styles of playing. It's got a fantastic blues sound, sounds lovely strumming, and even better picking. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action, Fit & Finish:The action is amazing, even before it was setup at the store. After the setup though, (from a certified Martin technician), it was unbelievable. Extremely low and has no buzz what'soever. The finish was beautiful and flawless like most US made Martins. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have yet to buy any electronics for it, so I haven't had the chance to play Live. I imagine it would though, it's a sturdy guitar. It's perfect for recording though with it's amazing sound. The finish has held up so far and after a year you can't even see any scratches. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, bluegrass, alternative, Indie, and a lot of beatles acoustic stuff. Like I stated earlier, it fits all of my styles of playing. I've been playing for about 2 years now. This is my fourth acoustic guitar. I have a cheap Yamaha (my first), a Martin DCX1KE, and a Martin DM. I love this guitar and if it were stolen I'd definatley buy a new one (if I could find one, Martin recently discontinued the RGT and now only carries the normal GT). My favorite this about this guitar is it's sound. You just can't beat it. I chose this over other Martin Dreadnought styles and also the Taylor GA3. I wish it had block style MOP inlays but other than that nothing else. // 10

Comments