000-28 review by Martin

Martin: 000-28

Purchased from: Coda Music, Luton, UK

As a delta blues player, the 00-28 suits me perfectly, (even "Old Slowhand" uses one - see Unplugged). The sound is mellow and sweet, and I have only had it for 12 months. As it matures over the years, I'm certain it can only get better! The thing is - I ENJOY playing this instrument, it is always a pleasure, never a chore.

As stated above, I'm a bluesman although I'll have a bash at other stuff at parties. All the old blues favourites like Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Arthur Blake, Bill Broonzy are complemented by Eric Clapton and Beatles (I know - not blues). The Martin carries it off with ease. I started playing in 1960 and own 11 other guitars, but the Martin 00-28 is the one of choice.

My guitar gets used daily, and I have come to rely on it; indeed, it's my benchmark when trying other guitars. I have no problems with it staying in tune, as the quality of the tuners is up to the mark. I use it for practice, writing and playing live, and would feel uneasy playing live without it.

The first thing I noticed on opening the case was the beautiful smell of wood, and it is still a pleasure everytime I open the case. The finish was excellent, as is to be expected with a quality high-end Martin. The frets were beautifully finished, and the action was just right. I changed the strings immediately to Elixir Nanowebs lights, and the action remains spot-on! The first strum of the day just brings a smile to my face, and it's a sunny day...

Year 2003, US made 000 acoustic guitar, with all solid woods - sitka spruce on top, I bought this guitar in April 2003. Gloss finish. 14 frets to body without pickup. Hardshell case included.

Battery Chicken
    Had the pleasure to play one of these in store the other day. They really are a guitar to aspire to, beautiful warm and rounded tone. Not to bright, not to mellow, but just right. I honestly couldn't fault the sound of it, without the best guitar i've played yet.
    -Ryan-
    This was the third guitar I've bought (about 9 monthes ago) and wanted to make a big investment. Best purchase I have ever made (2000 CDN - Musicstop: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada). It was my favorite guitar in the store, and the best acoustic I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I can't find any faults!
    brianwmay
    I'm lucky enough to own one of these and I too, would rate it 10s across the board. My other Martin is a D-28, a beautiful guitar, but for ease of use and sheer fun, the 000-28 wins every time. I play it every day I'm home. As the OP said, the smell is lovely - I love 'plain Jane' guitars as I don't do 'bling'. The 28 series of Martins don't bother too much about bling as the money is spent in the woods and construction. I recommend this guitar without reservation. I too have Elixir Nanoweb Light gauge strings on, despite lots of people on other sites who say coated strings don't work, I beg to differ. They're great.
    Jedman25315
    In my music room (aka the inner sanctum) This guitar takes the cake from at least 9 comparable guitars. I keep it right in the middle of all of them, just because its so beautiful. Aesthetics and sound both! Its my favorite. Any guitarist will love it. buy it, you wont regret it.