000-28 Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 04/05/2004 category: Acoustic Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. No bullshit ads, just news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Martin: 000-28
Solid Sitka Spruce Top. Solid East Indian Rosewood Body.
 9.9
 9,693
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
000-28 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2004

Purchased from: Coda Music, Luton, UK

Features: Year 2003, US made 000 acoustic guitar, with all solid woods - sitka spruce on top, I bought this guitar in April 2003. Gloss finish. 14 frets to body without pickup. Hardshell case included. // 10

Sound: As a delta blues player, the 00-28 suits me perfectly, (even "Old Slowhand" uses one - see Unplugged). The sound is mellow and sweet, and I have only had it for 12 months. As it matures over the years, I'm certain it can only get better! The thing is - I ENJOY playing this instrument, it is always a pleasure, never a chore. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The first thing I noticed on opening the case was the beautiful smell of wood, and it is still a pleasure everytime I open the case. The finish was excellent, as is to be expected with a quality high-end Martin. The frets were beautifully finished, and the action was just right. I changed the strings immediately to Elixir Nanowebs lights, and the action remains spot-on! The first strum of the day just brings a smile to my face, and it's a sunny day... // 10

Reliability & Durability: My guitar gets used daily, and I have come to rely on it; indeed, it's my benchmark when trying other guitars. I have no problems with it staying in tune, as the quality of the tuners is up to the mark. I use it for practice, writing and playing live, and would feel uneasy playing live without it. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated above, I'm a bluesman although I'll have a bash at other stuff at parties. All the old blues favourites like Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Arthur Blake, Bill Broonzy are complemented by Eric Clapton and Beatles (I know - not blues). The Martin carries it off with ease. I started playing in 1960 and own 11 other guitars, but the Martin 00-28 is the one of choice. // 10

More Martin reviews rating category latest review
+ Performing Artist OMCPA1 Plus 9.5 Acoustic Guitars 10/07/2015