000C-16GTE review by Martin

Martin: 000C-16GTE

Purchased from: Cherry Hill Guitar Center

My music style can be basically whatever is put in front of me long enough for me to play it or learn it. At least as far as my two years of playing will allow me. I use a Harmony beginners amp with it that sounds horrible, but I usually play unplugged, I might in the future get an acoustic amp though if I decide to do gigs or something. The guitars sound is absolutely divine, it's tone is bright and the sound is rich. The guitar can probably sound great with anything you play on it, I've only played rock and classical on it, but it can probably play anything.

This guitar is a good match definitely for rock. I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I also own a Fender Nashville Telecaster, Harmony Strat, Harmony Dreadnought, a Johnson Ukelele, and a Casio Keyboard, and by far this Martin is my best instrument. I wish I had asked what to do about the stupid strap button, but in the excitement of getting this high class acoustic I overlooked it. If this guitar was stolen I would definitely first cry, then get a cheaper Martin like the laminate top D-15 which I've seen at local music stores for around $600. I love everything about the sound. With the finish the fretboard scratches on the side disappointed me, but it is really my own fault. The rest of the finish is absolutely wonderful. My favorite feature of this guitar is the hands down to drool over tone and sound. Gibson's I've played have seemed to be forceful and boomy, this Martin is very delicate and bright and light. I basically chose this one because I loved it from the moment I first played it, I was amazed my dad let me go $300 over my budget, but the guitar is usually $800 more than what I bought it for. It was just the right place at the right time. I wish this guitar had at least two more frets, and also that the bottom sound hole would not be so clumsy.

I'm sure this guitar can withstand live playing. The hardware definitely seems it will last, but the lower strap button is also the amp plug in which makes it extremely clumsy and scary to try to play it standing up. I would trust my life on this guitar, and the everything about it other than the electronics will most likely last for decades.

The guitar's setup is exceptional, being a Martin is was handmade, and it contained no real flaws. The only things I've found annoying with it is if you leave the guitar plugged into an amp the Onboard Blender's battery will overheat and die, and that the lower strap button is absolutely ridiculous because it is also the amp plug in. The fretboard seems to scratch on the side, but pushing the string to the side of the fretboard is not exactly something you should do anyway. The finish is vibrant and beautiful, but of course you must be extremely careful with the guitar.

This guitar's features are amazing. I must say that for the price it does not come with any accessories, but hey it's a Martin it will play well. It has 20 total frets, but even with a cutaway 14 are only really easily accessible. The top is solid spruce, while the body is mahogany, the neck is Spanish Cedar, the fretboard is ebony and the headstock is Indian rosewood. The guitar comes with a Fishman prefix premium Stereo Onboard Blender which I really don't play with, because I usually play unplugged but when I do use it, it works very well. The tuners are made out of chrome and I'm pretty certain the dots on the fret board are pearl. I repeat though in saying that for the enormous price of this guitar it does not come with anything. But you can't ask perfection with a side of something.