000C-16GTE Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 03/20/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Martin: 000C-16GTE
Satin, 16 series, acosutic, solid spruce top with solid mahogany sides. Carefully hand-selected tonewoods, master craftsmanship and beautiful finishes and styles make Martin acoustics a class all their own.
 Features: 8.5
 8.8
 9.3
 8.2
 9,050
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
000C-16GTE Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 20, 2006

Features: This is a great guitar made in Nazareth Pensylvania (sorry bout the spelling). It has 20 frets and a really smooth fret board. I think it might be made of ebony? The wood is dark and totally flat. It's got a soild top (it's a Martin, with exceptions of the D-15). Has a one-peice back, it's brown (like the wood it's made of). The neck is not really skinny, or really fat, so medium is guess? It's got a concet body, which makes it really comfortable to play standing, sitting, upside down, etc. The finish is flawless, smooth, transparent, every you want. The bridge is nice, I don't really study bridges but it works, however it sets the strings a little high. It has a fishman pickup system which sounds wonderful, the selector board is definetly deluxe. It has all of the EQ stuff plus a phaser effect, and about 12 different tones you can manipulate. You have a really warm tone or for country a really twangy tone, it does everything! The tuner is chrome I think (it's silver and shiny). It pretty much tunes the guitar. However I've played it for like 3 hours and only need to tweak the g string a little, but every thing else was in tune. // 9

Sound: How is the sound you ask? Pheomeninal. That sums it up. I've played Ovations, Parkwoods, Taylors, Gibsons, Alvarez, and other Martins. This one by far is way better. The sound is deep and rich and the fullness makes you loose your appetite. Taylors are stringy sounding, this Martin plays great across the board. You can here every note you play equally as well. It has a bright and comforting sound. But it can play fingerpicking, to much more dynamic music. I swear when you play it, you add like 3 years to your life span, thats how good it sounds. People cry when I play it, simply amazing. If there was a 15 for a rating, I would give a 20. Best guitar I've played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is little high (opposed to ovations) so playing past the 14 fret can be a little difficult, especially the top 3 strings. The fret board makes it very easy to move around, it doesn't make that sound when you slide your fingers across the strings. Very nice. I play it with Martin light gauge strings (red box, they work well). The cut-away allows you to easily acess all frets, but if you have vienna-sausage fingers it might a little difficult. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is made like tank (except not metal, and it doesn't weigh 20 tons). I play it live every sunday and sometimes saturday, it holds togheter great. I've accidentally bumped on a desk before, no scratch. The hardware is great, when I play I move around and swing my body, but the guitar holds toghether despite what I knock down in the process. However keep in mind it is made of wood so its not like bulletproof, if you know what I mean. I can depend on it all the time everytime. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar works for every thing, death metal (just kidding), to Simon & Garfunkel. If some jerk stole it, I would definetly cry, then make sure the thief met my good freind the lead pipe, it would be a very interesting conversation! Not really, but the guitar is very valuable, I've mentioned I have never played anything like it. I would take a loan or two and buy another one. For the price, what you get is a little lacking. But well built soild-top guitars sound better with age. The wood's tone becomes better, making it a great investment, in fact I could sell it for higher because it sounds better than when I bought it. I've had since Christmas, its been great. I was very pleased being 16 and owning a Art & Luthrie Cedar guitar (very nice intermediate guitar might I add), and a Samick electric which plays like a Fender Strat! The guitars retail is about 3500, I got it for about 1200. not too bad. I will never purchase another aucostic again because I won't need to! the versatility and quality is pefect! // 10

000C-16GTE Reviewed by: ivegot_acat, on november 08, 2004

Purchased from: Cherry Hill Guitar Center

Features: This guitar's features are amazing. I must say that for the price it does not come with any accessories, but hey it's a Martin it will play well. It has 20 total frets, but even with a cutaway 14 are only really easily accessible. The top is solid spruce, while the body is mahogany, the neck is Spanish Cedar, the fretboard is ebony and the headstock is Indian rosewood. The guitar comes with a Fishman prefix premium Stereo Onboard Blender which I really don't play with, because I usually play unplugged but when I do use it, it works very well. The tuners are made out of chrome and I'm pretty certain the dots on the fret board are pearl. I repeat though in saying that for the enormous price of this guitar it does not come with anything. But you can't ask perfection with a side of something. // 8

Sound: My music style can be basically whatever is put in front of me long enough for me to play it or learn it. At least as far as my two years of playing will allow me. I use a Harmony beginners amp with it that sounds horrible, but I usually play unplugged, I might in the future get an acoustic amp though if I decide to do gigs or something. The guitars sound is absolutely divine, it's tone is bright and the sound is rich. The guitar can probably sound great with anything you play on it, I've only played rock and classical on it, but it can probably play anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's setup is exceptional, being a Martin is was handmade, and it contained no real flaws. The only things I've found annoying with it is if you leave the guitar plugged into an amp the Onboard Blender's battery will overheat and die, and that the lower strap button is absolutely ridiculous because it is also the amp plug in. The fretboard seems to scratch on the side, but pushing the string to the side of the fretboard is not exactly something you should do anyway. The finish is vibrant and beautiful, but of course you must be extremely careful with the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure this guitar can withstand live playing. The hardware definitely seems it will last, but the lower strap button is also the amp plug in which makes it extremely clumsy and scary to try to play it standing up. I would trust my life on this guitar, and the everything about it other than the electronics will most likely last for decades. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match definitely for rock. I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I also own a Fender Nashville Telecaster, Harmony Strat, Harmony Dreadnought, a Johnson Ukelele, and a Casio Keyboard, and by far this Martin is my best instrument. I wish I had asked what to do about the stupid strap button, but in the excitement of getting this high class acoustic I overlooked it. If this guitar was stolen I would definitely first cry, then get a cheaper Martin like the laminate top D-15 which I've seen at local music stores for around $600. I love everything about the sound. With the finish the fretboard scratches on the side disappointed me, but it is really my own fault. The rest of the finish is absolutely wonderful. My favorite feature of this guitar is the hands down to drool over tone and sound. Gibson's I've played have seemed to be forceful and boomy, this Martin is very delicate and bright and light. I basically chose this one because I loved it from the moment I first played it, I was amazed my dad let me go $300 over my budget, but the guitar is usually $800 more than what I bought it for. It was just the right place at the right time. I wish this guitar had at least two more frets, and also that the bottom sound hole would not be so clumsy. // 10

Comments