Backpacker review by Martin

Martin: Backpacker

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

I love the sound of it. It's a little thin, but I like it. I hardly ever use a pick, though. When I use a pick, the sound gets way too thin, but strumming with my fingers or finger-picking gets a nice sound out of it. I play mostly Folk and Blues music on this guitar, but I've always played Country and Pop music.

I guess every Backpacker is different. Just make sure you play it before you buy it. Also, if you're planning on buying it and taking it on a trip, buy it a few weeks before and get used to this guitar-it's very different. There's a stabilizer made by a company called KraftBoy that makes it possible for the Backpacker to be played without the strap; the stabilizer is called the Compadre. It's pretty cheap and makes the Backpacker much more enjoyable.

Around a campfire, this guitar is perfect. It's easily loud enough to entertain a hand full of friends. I would take it on a trip without a backup in a heartbeat. It's very dependable. The only thing I have a problem with is that if you're playing with anyone else with a standard size acoustic, it's hard to hear the Backpacker. This guitar seems to be able to withstand changes in temperature well, and I haven't had any trouble keeping it in tune like some other reviewers have had with their Backpacker.

I was at least the second owner of this guitar, but when I got it the action was pretty low for an acoustic. Eventually, I might have to replace the pens because they are thin and fragile, but otherwise the guitar is perfectly put together.

I'm not sure what year this guitar was made, but it is one of the later models. Made in Mexico. 15 frets, rosewood. Mine came with a brown Martin strap and the black gig bag.

ledzep426
    Just got one today from Sam Ash for 179 (price matched it). Plays really well. The tone is very cool. I'm really an alternative/indie, blues, thrash metal player so it really suits that playing style. I recommend getting one.
    BJ59
    My main use of this guitar is for tabs and fingerpicking. Because of the odd shape of the instrument, I have to hold it as I would with a classical guitar. Having changed out the Martin strings for some D'Appario nylon/brass strings, I really like the intimate and bright sound of the backpacker when I play it. Since I hardly ever use a pick to strum, I don't mind the lack of guards. I also rarely play above 11th fret, so I appreciate the design of the neck and body. Last thing -- since it has no finish on the body, there's nothing to mar; that's nice
    gardoure
    i just have a questing, does anyone know where you can get a better gig bag for it, like something that doesnt let it wiggle as much