D-15M Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 08/09/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Martin: D-15M
This is a really good Martin for a good price. It's got a big, loud sound that it pretty dark due to the mahogany body. The bass sounds excellent, and note ring out nicely.
 9.2
 8.8
 7,352
review (1) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
D-15M Reviewed by: Swannie, on august 09, 2011

Purchased from: local music store

Features: Man, I love this guitar. It's got an all-mahogany body with rosewood frets, mahogany neck and headstock. It has some small inlays at the 5th, 7th, and 9th frets, and standard Martin tuners. It has no electronics. Came with a Martin hardshell case, which I don't use due to the fact that it has no locks. I have another dreadnought-style case with tuners that works fine. // 10

Sound: I love how this Martin sounds. It's got a big, loud sound that it pretty dark due to the mahogany body. The bass sounds excellent, and note ring out nicely. I play a lot of slide on it, for which it sounds good. I use it for mostly for folk, 60s, and old blues music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My D-15M was set up pretty nicely in Nazareth, PA (it's built in Nazareth like the more expensive models instead of being made overseas like many of the other min-priced Martins). The action could be a little lower without buzzing but as I said, I use it for slide so I don't want to action to be too low. The finish is pretty good, and pretty light, allowing the grain to bee easily seen. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played live a good bit with this guitar. It has always been fine. I usually have my 12-string as well, so I have that as a back-up if I need it, but I've never HAD to use it as a back-up. I've changed tunings between songs frequently and it always stays in tune well, good tuners. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a really good Martin for a good price. My dad and I play together a lot, and before I got his Martin it was him on his D-28 and me on an Alvarez. When we both strummed I couldn't be heard over the D-28. Now I can be heard! The volume is good, as is really everything else. Very dependable Martin. // 9

Comments