D-18VE review by Martin

Martin: D-18VE

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: A Guitar Store

Afterall, this is a Martin Vintage. The sound is absolutely marvelous. It's loud, clear, and rich. It has the old-style feel when you play it and suits acoustic music perfectly. Personally, I love playing the blues and some country. Never had I heard such a beautiful tone that matches those style of music so well. Well, the verdict - two thumbs up!

Like I've said, I love playing the blues and some country. A good match? Of course not. It's perfect! If this was stolen, I would get a shotgun, and hunt down the thief. I'll make sure he regrets for stealing my favourite piece of instrument! Why do I love this guitar? It's a Martin Vintage! Strum it, pluck it, you will see the difference that makes Martin an outstanding guitarmaker.

This guitar is solid. I don't recommend you trying to drop it or scratch it. It's a Martin (I know, I know) afterall. I'd definitely suggest using it for gigs, and don't use backups at all, you will disgrace your guitars! I have been playing this guitar for quite a while now, the finish is intact. It just requires some polishing now and then to maintain that shine.

When I bought this guitar, the action was low, to ensure total comfort during play. It was very well setup and ready for playing anytime. The pickup works fine but I hardly play it with the amp (it's a Martin). The guitar (as far I am concerned) is flawless. It's a gorgeous piece of instrument, nothing more can be said.

This Vintage features 20 frets on the solid ebony wood fingerboard, with old-style abalone position dots. Now about the top, solid sitka spruce gave the guitar a special feel and the sides/back is made from mahogany. Overall, the guitar has a semi-gloss finish which is simple yet elegant, and a vintage-styled, ebony-made bridge. This Vintage model featured a Fishman Ellipse System, which does not require a hole to be cut from this baby (who wants a hole in this anyway).