D-18VE Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 04/25/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars
Martin: D-18VE
D18VE match Martin's Vintage Series counterparts and enable complete onboard equalization without intrusive modification to the instrument.
 6.8
 3.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
D-18VE Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: A Guitar Store

Features: This Vintage features 20 frets on the solid ebony wood fingerboard, with old-style abalone position dots. Now about the top, solid sitka spruce gave the guitar a special feel and the sides/back is made from mahogany. Overall, the guitar has a semi-gloss finish which is simple yet elegant, and a vintage-styled, ebony-made bridge. This Vintage model featured a Fishman Ellipse System, which does not require a hole to be cut from this baby (who wants a hole in this anyway). // 10

Sound: Afterall, this is a Martin Vintage. The sound is absolutely marvelous. It's loud, clear, and rich. It has the old-style feel when you play it and suits acoustic music perfectly. Personally, I love playing the blues and some country. Never had I heard such a beautiful tone that matches those style of music so well. Well, the verdict - two thumbs up! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar, the action was low, to ensure total comfort during play. It was very well setup and ready for playing anytime. The pickup works fine but I hardly play it with the amp (it's a Martin). The guitar (as far I am concerned) is flawless. It's a gorgeous piece of instrument, nothing more can be said. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid. I don't recommend you trying to drop it or scratch it. It's a Martin (I know, I know) afterall. I'd definitely suggest using it for gigs, and don't use backups at all, you will disgrace your guitars! I have been playing this guitar for quite a while now, the finish is intact. It just requires some polishing now and then to maintain that shine. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I've said, I love playing the blues and some country. A good match? Of course not. It's perfect! If this was stolen, I would get a shotgun, and hunt down the thief. I'll make sure he regrets for stealing my favourite piece of instrument! Why do I love this guitar? It's a Martin Vintage! Strum it, pluck it, you will see the difference that makes Martin an outstanding guitarmaker. // 10

Comments