D-21 Vintage Reissue review by Martin

Martin: D-21 Vintage Reissue

Purchased from: Gruhn

I purchased this guitar with visiting Nashville. As most guitarist do- I stopped by Gruhn Guitars. I did not intend on purchasing a guitar however once I played this one- I was hooked. This particular Guitar was purchased from Martin after the "SPIGMA" ( Bluegrass Society Show? ) and was selected by the Martin Reps to take to the show. It was one of two that Gruhn had purchased. I play mainly blues but enjoy other styles- I purchased to use for fingerpicking blues and maybe learning some Bluegrass and or Country styles. The tone is what hooked me- my wife was there and commented on how good this guitar sounded. The guitar has a 3/4 nut - so it is made for flatpicking and or fingerstyle- it projects very well and has a sweet tone

For what I currently play- this is a great all around guitar- tone is excellent- play-a-bility is superior. Finish is flawless. I ask many questions prior to purchasing ( such as the bracing configuration)The saleman had very good knowledge, as a matter of fact, he went and pulled the second of the two so I could play side by side. I ended up selecting the second one. I don't hate anything about this instrument and I love the tone. This instrument is teh complete package if you like the Vintage style and tone.

The guitar seems very solid- I have not played it long, so I am not sure- but I think that it will get better with time. I don't gig (yet) but I would feel very comfortable taking it solo. This is an instrument that anyone would feel comfortable taking out and playing- very much an all around guitar- can fit most any style.

It was a Martin selected by the Martin reps to bring to the show- what else do I need to say- it is excellent in all aspects. The fit and finish are fantasic. The action is perfect for me ( Gruhn set up the guitar before shipping it back to me) The wood is matched up and the hardware is Vintage style tuners.

This Guitar was made in 2008 at the Martin factory- It has a solid top with rosewood back and sides. The finish is aged as it is a Vintage reissue model. It came with the nice Martin case- not the standard case. This guitar does not have any electronics as a standard feature but I am sure they could be added if needed. The tuners are Vintage style, another point that I felt made the instrument look appealing.