DX1 review by Martin

Martin: DX1

When I walked into the guitar shop I wasn't looking for a new guitar but from the first strum it blew my old guitar away. I play anything from Jack Johnson to John martyn to Oasis but mostly songs that everyone can sing along to. This guitar suit's absolutely any style that I wish to play. The bass is booming but not overpowering, the mids are clear and resonant but not to tinny or steely. it's perfect for in my opinion anything a player wants to throw at it. Fingerpicking or simple chords it handles it all with a bright full sound.

My overall impression is that I play mostly indie/rock and it does suit my style and sound i'm looking for. I do love this guitar and if it was stolen or misplaced then I would deffinately think about getting another one or maybe a slighly more upmarket Martin.

This guitar would deffinately stand gigging but mine only gets as far as my mates house when he has parties. It seems like everything on this guitar is of high quality and workmanship. I do however find that the solid top does dent extremely easily and with kids running about i find myself becoming a bit too protective over it. I am though looking forward to see what it sounds like in a few years when the woods aged a bit and the sound will only get better.

The guitar I brought has a rosewood fretboard and the set up was impeccable however at the shop I did try another identical guitar but with a different wood fretboard and the set up on that was a little wayward. So in my opinion try a few of these guitars at the shop to see if there is one that suit's you better. The neck shape is comfy but also slim enough to allow your fingers to move fast and freely without your fretting hand to get tired to quickly. The finish of the guitar is a satin almost none existant finish which I like. The guitar feels natural and feels like it has been made expertly.

My guitar was made in the good ol' USA. It has a total of 20 frets but it is not a cut away so anythin above the 14th/15th frets is not really playable for me. Without knowing the correct terms for the materials I do know that it is a solid spruce top and mahogony laminate sides and back with a rosewood fretboard. This guitar came with no case or any additional hardware. This guitar is what it is, it has no fancy inlays or paint job it just does what it's meant to do and sound fantastic.

ilikeguitar90
    I was in the guitar shop for about 3 hours today and seriously tried out about 25-30 guitars...tried out anything in my price range (around $750). I played everything from fender, ibanez, epihpone, martin, seagull, takamine, taylor, blueridge, and even resonator guitars. In the end, the martin DX1 was the best guitar I tried out, bar none. I went into the shop with the seagull s6 as the guitar I wanted to try and was looking forward to playing, but the martin was much better in my opinion. I tried really hard to like the seagull s6 more because of the amazing reviews and cheaper price, but the sound of the martin was just flat out better to my ears. And I couldn't care less what the guitar is made out of. Everyone makes that argument when they talk about this guitar and how inferior it is to others that are similarly priced. It sounds amazing so I don't mind it not being real wood.