DX1 review by Martin

Martin: DX1

Purchased from: Northern Accoustics

The sound on this is fantastic. Was in the guitar shop about an hour playing various different guitars. Played on C chord on this and had to have it. I've had it over a year now and the sound still suprises me every now and then. Seriously. Play this softly and it sounds awesome. Play it loud as hell and it sounds awesome. Simple. End of.

Simply put, for the price this is a fantastic guitar. I challange anyone to find a guitar that sounds this good for the same price. You could probably pick it up for about 500 - 550 if you looked/bartered hard enough. There exists an electro/acoustic version of this now called the DX1AE. Given the choice I would pick that up as its the same price (the AE didn't exist when I bought this). Purests will bemoan the fact that its not made out of "proper wood", "it made in Mexico", "blah blah". The true litmus test of any guitar is the sound, and this sounds f--king fantastic. That's all you need to know.

This guitar seems solidly built, I've no reason to treat it like its made out of glass. I've even dinked the back of it a few times on corners of tables etc. Not even a scratch. One other thing to note. This guitar does not go out of tune. Ever. EVER. Are you still reading this review? Just buy it.

The action is fine. I learned to play guitar on an electric so personally I would probably prefer it a little lower. Other than that, I cannot fault this. To be honest that's not even a fault on behalf of the guitar, its just a preference and its something I could have fixed should I want to anyway.

Quick review for those who want the lowdown without a wall of text. Mexican made. Very basic looking but I don't mean that as a bad thing. No dot inlays which was a little confusing at first. It has them along the top though so its fine. No bullsh-t. Just a classic looking guitar.