JC-16RGTE Premium Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 02/19/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
Martin: JC-16RGTE Premium
Awesome acoustic-electric guitar, has new gooseneck mounted interior microphone and on-board tuner in addition to the regular Prefix Blender features (undersaddle transducer & on-board 4-band eq with blend control for the 2 signals).
 9.7
 9.4
 5,918
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
JC-16RGTE Premium Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2007

Purchased from: Sam Ash (Edison)

Features: This jumbo acoustic electric model was made in Nazareth, PA. Mahogany back and sides, solid sitka spruce top, cutaway, and fishman premium blend electronics. Martin furnishes a very good hardshell case with the guitar but I have been using a well padded gig bag lately since it's a lot lighter. // 10

Sound: I am a singer/songwriter so I play a lot of chords and do a lot of singing. I also use a Boss Loop Station to layer, percussive playing, chord changes, bass lines, textural work, to solo over and/or harmonize my voice with. For drumming on the body of the guitar, the condeser mic pick up does an amazing job reproducing the sound. There is a slider on the electronincs where you can blend the piezo and the condenser to Taylor your output into the PA system. I mostly set it on piezo for everything but the percussive playing. I'm preety simple with the EQ by leaving it flat but sometimes I jack up the treble a bit depending on the effects I use to solo with. The overall acoustic sound is very thick but well balanced. Martin recommends medium guage strings (.13) but I've foud that it makes the guitar sound too thick. Light strings (.12) give it a bit more bite and I prefer that sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set up for the first 5 months I owned the guitar. A lot of playing will always change an istrument if you let it go but I brought it to the factory and they tweaked everything to perfection. The overall construction of this guitar was perfect. Sam Ash had two of these models that were very different in sound, which made me nervous about the consistency of the product, but I picked the better of the two and have been very happy with the instrument. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I was contemplating which guitar could take a beating better, a Martin or Taylor and I have to say that I'm still at a stand still. I bought the Martin because I had been to the factory several times and saw first hand how well the guitars were made but more rockers tend to use Taylors (Dave Matthews, Mark Tremonti) and more Folk and lighter strumming musicians use Martins (Clapton, Cash). Since I've had my guitar (over 1 year), I've played it pretty hard, almost abusive, and it's held it's own very well. I'm glad I chose this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I mentioned earlier, I am a singer/songwriter Who has been playing guitar for over 15 years. I recently got back into the singer/songwriter scene about two years ago and have been playing a lot since then. I have one other guitar I take to gigs with me, Ibanez AEF30ETVS, that I use as a full time open D tuning guitar. I use about 7-9 effects regularly to push the sonic possibilities of acoustic guitar for some songs but I'm mostly a naturalist when it comes to the songwriting aspect. This guitar satisfies all of my needs for what I do and would recommend this guitar to anyone Who wants a high quality guitar. // 10

Comments