Performing Artist OMCPA1 Plus Review

1,044
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Performing Artist OMCPA1 Plus Reviewed by: This is Funk, on october 07, 2015

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Features: 2015 made in the USA. Orchestra model with 25.4 inch scale. Solid Sitka spruce top, Indian Rosewood back and sides, Ebony fingerboard. Polished gloss finish. F1 Aura+ electronics with two knobs and digital display. Easy mode (3 presets) and Performance Mode (Edit 9 preset images). All very useful, you can mix the pickups and images ratio to your liking, very easy to get many types of sounds out of your guit. By using left know you can change image, treble, miss, bass, compressor, and clear interfering channels. Came with a Martin hard case that looks pretty cool (alligator skin, obviously fake). // 10

Sound: I like to play Clapton, James Taylor ('60s/'70s rock), Jack Johnson, etc, pretty much mellow acoustic music with a little blues. With the wood mixture (spruce, rosewood, ebony) you get a nice warm sound classic sound so this guitar suits my needs. Playing finger style you can hear each sound from each string just pop out full and beautiful. Flat picking or finger style has great clarity and each note sings clearly. Strumming sounds good too, however, with it being an orchestra model, unplugged it definately lacks some bass, but if you hook up to an amp and use some EQ the problem goes away and sounds full of bass, if you want. I'm playing mine through a Fender Mustang II usually set on Twin Reverb. I'd say if you're looking to play unplugged, you might want to consider a Grand Performance/Auditorium for the bass and strumming, but if play plugged in it's great, and with a smaller body very comfortable to play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was great out of the box, woods were flawless as was everything else. The only thing I had to do was lower the action (I assume they leave it that way out of the factory so each can lower it to their own liking. You can always shave more off a saddle, but you can't add it.). I really couldn't find anything wrong with anything on the guitar. That was one thing I really didn't worry about when I bought it online through Sweetwater without having never played it. Martin is known for their quality so you know you'll get something nice. Sweetwater also does a 55 point check so they'll catch anything before it gets to you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Flawless, flawless, flawless. The second you hold it you just feel the quality. Then you play it and quality just pours into your ears. Awesomelicious. I would gladly play it live, though I mainly play at home for fun. Hardware is grade A, I'm sure this will last me a lifetime, which I plan to keep it for. I know it will only get better with age. I think anyone could depend on it, the woods are solid. Might worry about breaking a string, but definitely nothing with the guitar itself. I haven't played it for years in total yet, so I really can't say how the finish will hold up over time. // 10

Overall Impression: For my style of music it's great (older rock modern rock). Being an orchestra model, it's brighter than a dreadnought, but the woods give it warmth and depth so it's not too bright. I've been playing 17 years, but really only four or so seriously. Other gear includes Fender Strat, PRS S2 Custom 24, Epiphone BB King Lucille, Takamine D Series, and Seagull S6 Spruce. If it were stolen, I'd buy another, or at the most consider their GPCPA1 (Grand Performance) for the extra bass. I wouldn't have asked anything else before buying, but I definitely noticed the lacking bass when I first played it. However, unplugged you just hit the bass string a little harder than normal and it rings about right, definitely doable. Plugged in, lack of bass isn't an issue. // 10

Comments