ECW80C review by Maton

Maton: ECW80C

Purchased from: Muso's Corner

I usually play mostly country sort of Folk music. Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis are mostly what I play but I also play more popular music and older music, even some classical. The ECW80C transcends genres with ease. You can get harmonics on almost every fret with ease, and the Elixir strings that Matons come with are amazing, a little expensive to replace but you will want to use them again.

I purchased the ECW80C but had it built with gold machine heads, and no pick up. I wanted the cutaway but I don't play on stage so I had no need for a pick up and if I ever want to play on stage I can just mic it. Also I love the timber so I didn't really want a massive bit of plastic sticking out of there. Oh and I even saved about $250 by not having the AP5 pickup. Maton will also print your name on the inside sticker. It's a truly professional guitar but it will make the bedroom guitarist just as happy.

The Maton arrived in mint condition but 6 or so months later there is a slight shining of the finish where my arm continuously rubs while strumming. Obviously there are scratches on the pic guard from usual strumming. I have added one tiny dint on the side when my mother put it in the hard case on top of it's strap and closed the lid, I wasn't happy but I call it a beauty mark and I can deal with it.

The face is stained in Honeystain satin and the back and sides are Vintage amber satin. The pick guard is Tortoiseshell. The neck is slightly thicker than my other guitars but the Kyser capo fits nice and tightly. I'm 6 foot tall so my hands are big, I'm not sure if someone with smaller hands would have any trouble playing.

This guitar is amazing! Matons are incredible instruments, I remember playing my friends, dads Maton when I was about 15 and I was blown away with how real and true the tone sounded. I have now owned the ECW80C Maton for 6-8 months and I get to enjoy the flawless tone that comes with the AA solid Sitka spruce top and solid Queensland maple back and sides. The fret board and bridge are rosewood and the neck is Queensland maple.

nzmaximus
    Ridiculous that users vote this guitar down to a 6.8! Why are there so many haters out there? I've just bought this guitar and it is unbelievably good. A treasure for sure.
    robbiefest
    I own 2 cw80s. a 1992 and a 2007. Both are very different to each other. The 1992 has a huge deep warm bottom end and is a very big sounding guitar, but lacks in the treble. It is quite difficult to play high speed runs on it although the action is very low. My 2007 sometimes sounds like it's lacking in all the areas that the 1992 has strengths. ie bottom end. However the 2007 has a very fast neck and great pickup. Very average acoustic tone though, and I picked this one cause it was the best I'd heard. I think they are vastly over rated as an acoustic. Many other guitars sound far better than this. however on stage, they are fantastic due to the pickup and the fast, comfortable neck. I've often thought about selling both.
    jsurf06
    amazing guitar. great sound, the reviewer said he said $250 by not getting the AP5 pickup, but it's actually an amazing set up well worth the $250 for the live sound, way better than setting a mic. jack johnson and ben harper swear by this brand. a VERY VERY good acoustic
    RushJam
    I've just bought yesterday a Maton EA80C. Love at first sight. Gorgeous guitar, awesome sound, incredible instrument! Fantastica chitarra.
    Garry Edwards
    Hi there I own an original Maton A80 Australian D.O.B. Jan 2001#703 L/H. And what surprises me is that young guys listen and hear such names as martin,taylor,collings etc and believe these are the guitars too get- nothing could be further from the truth. I say to all people looking for a quality guitar try a Maton,a good Maton you may be very surprised. The A 80 is getting better with age the more I play the better she gets, I wont sell it-never. And I have small hands so don't let the neck size put you off- it's comfortable, sounds full and rich and most of all rewarding to the player. And just for the record I also own a Taylor 614CE,Martin D28,a Collings and a Santa Cruz.
    dollyDagger
    They are made right near my Uni in Melbourne. They do free factory tours there. I'm thinking of buying a maton. Rilo Kiley have some good songs and some bad songs.
    stephenbgood
    These guitars are superb. That's why I bought a new one 3 months ago. So there must be a glitch in the voting system allowing fools or vested interests to give ridiculously low scores without even commenting.
    tdunster
    I have played four of these including three which were 60th anniversary specials limited to a run of 60 guitars. They are fabulous and easily the equal of any Taylor, Larrivee, or Martin I have tried. Lovely instruments.