EM225C review by Maton

Maton: EM225C

Price paid: A$ 1100

Purchased from: Turramurra Music Store

This guitar boasts sound, in fact of all the guitars I tested including Cole Clarks, Yamaha, Takamines and the Corts, the Maton could not encounter competition. It stands on its own. Many seem to be falling for the '100% solid wood' sell of the Cole Clark which is true, but when you play these two guitars side by side the difference in sound is blindly in the Maton's favour. The Cole Clark may well win in the plugged department, but for resonance and purity the EM225C is unmatched. This guitar is ALL sound, nothing gets in its 'earthy and resonate' sound. Its pure class.

I am a guitarist who is big on natural resonance and a beautiful tone. I play a mixture of fingerstyle/Jack Johnson guitar, and so far I've found this EM225C to be the perfect guitar for the style of music. Jack himself I believe uses a FL2AC which is a very nice guitar plugged, but unplugged I find is quite cheap and 'tangy' sounding. Jack does own Maton's, among other artists and so its clear that this is a guitar built for the business class of the guitar world. Pick yourself up a Maton EM225C, theres not much stopping you.

I've only had the Maton for 4 weeks but she seems like a Sherman -rebuilt for military purposes. It could take a pounding or two I'd imagine. The only flaw in this guitar is the light Satin finish, which is more susceptible to scratching and wear. But if you believe Maton, they believe the lighter finish makes for a deeper and lasting sound, and I have to agree. The scratches that this Guitar attain over the years will add to the guitars character in any case, so no complaints.

Action I felt was a little high, but it does make for a longer and deeper sound, whilst marginalising any chance for the nasty buzz sound that single-handedly ruins the music making experience! I've become accustomed to the action over time and so I have no complaints.

The EM225C is a beautiful Guitar and the main selling point for me is that it is a hand made Guitar made from pure Australian maple woods. Queensland maple makes up the sides, back and neck of my guitar, with Solid Grade 'A' Sitka Spruce for the top. Everything came tight and in impeccable condition when I bought it. Just holding the Guitar you know you possess some impressive software.

Jeremy191
    Jeremy191
    Jeremy191 wrote: got mine a couple days ago, my guitar teacher knew a guy so i got it for $1,275 Australian Dollars with a maton case and two services. it is a beauty to play. I would recommend this guitar to anyone.
    I got it from Haworth Music in Albian park, check out their website, they have a great service and they really know guitars.