EM225C review by Maton

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Maton: EM225C

Price paid: A$ 1145

Purchased from: ProAudio

This is my third Maton and I purchased it for the purpose of recording and home playing. As I am a full time musician I play a variety of music. I find that the sound quality of the Maton EM225C to be gutsy full sound with clean brilliance. It's the sound that I want for recording accoustic backings. At this stage I haven't played the guitar through an amp because of other factors with the guitar.

I have been playing guitar for over thirty five years. Later part of my life I have been full. Because of the number of years I have been playing I have a collection about 20 guitars. Mostly electric. Fenders, Gibsons, 3 Matons. My advice for anyone thinking of buying an Maton guitar online. Have a big think about it because now Maton want me to send my guitar back to them, at my cost for something that they missed in the factory. If I ever but another Maton I will be inspecting it first because Maton's quality control and customer service lets then down very badly. I have found this out by my own experience. It's a pity that if Maton are so sure of their product being without defects, why do they ask their customers to pay to have the instrument sent back to them when the instrument has been sent out of the factory with defects. Again, bad customer service.

As I have only had the guitar for a number of weeks it would be unfair to make a comment about the reliability and durability of the guitar. With the neck/frets in the condition they are I would not be able to use the guitar on a live show as I don't think I would not have any skin left on my fingers. It's a shame that Maton's quality control in this case has let them down badly. I expected a lot better.

The finish on the body of the guitar is perfect as I can see. However the neck is finished very poorly. The action is a touch high but that's not a problem. The fret ends are so sharp that they take pieces of skin off my fingers. I can not slide my fingers along the top E string without stopping against the sharp edges. Upon close inspection it appears that the fret ends, both top and bottom along the length of the neck have had a botched job. The neck also appears to be missing some coats of vanish on the sides when I compare it to my other Matons.

I purchased a Maton EM225C including case on line in late May 2011. The guitar is Australian made. The guitar's build date is stamped 04/2011. It is a standard EM225C with satin finish. It is fitted with the standard AP4 under bridge pickup. The guitar comes with a guarantee by Maton that the instrument is free from defects in workmanship and material for two years.

Tadg
    I have a limited edition version, with the AP5 and a few extra touches. It is a truly outstanding acoustic. Age and use improves the tone on these guitars, I expect this guitar to just keep getting better.
    jasonmccaul
    I tried one of these yesterday, alongside a Cort (solid vic blackwood back and sides), my own old Yamaha FG700S and a Cole Clark FL1AC. Was brand new, very mid/toppy and lacked bass, the cort was the same. The Cole Clark had a lot more bass which you could feel as well as here. In the end I preferred my old Yamaha to them all so didnt buy one, even the guy in the shop commented my FG had a lovely tone and was probably due to its age. He played a $3K Maton for me, not sure of model but that one did sound great with nice bass too but out of my price range.
    nathansooalo
    in my local music store, it's the cheapest guitar with good quality, anything lower is mud to my ears
    nathansooalo