MD100 Review

8.4
 8.8
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
MD100 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 25, 2015

Features: Okay, this is a Spruce laminate top with mahogany back and sides. A maple neck with a rosewood fret board. The tuners are your standard ping design and the nut and bridge are made of plastic. This is manufactured in China but the quality of it, is well done considering the price. It has one strap button at the back end of the guitar and does not have one at the base of the neck. It does have a dovetail joint which looks quite sturdy and before I forget, it has a very lovely, Abalone inlay on the sound hole. This is also a dreadnaught which also has white binding going along the neck which looks great. // 8

Sound: For a guitar in this price range, the tone and sound are really very good and sound like a guitar that would be more within the 3,500 price range. It could however, benefit from having jumbo frets installed. The stock ones which are very thin, make string bending a bit difficult. But the sustain and tone that this instrument produces, more than makes up for it. It has a very bright tone akin to that of a Fender Acoustic which really stands out. Like I said, definately worth the price and probably the best sounding for the value in this range. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a tad high as most new acoustics usually are. So I did a slight truss rod adjustment and that was fine. I did however, do some mods to this which were to include, a new set of Graph-Tech Tusq bridge saddle pins, and a set of tuners from a Fender T-Bucket 400 which I bought on eBay. Both of these have really improved the quality of the guitar to the point where it is now a player that can be used for live playing. My only gripe with this guitar are the stock frets which are very thin. I feel it could benefit with a set of jumbo frets which would allow for easier string bending. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm very positive that even without the mods that I installed, you could use this guitar for live playing. It is one very well built instrument. Mitchell to their credit, builds guitars with the consumer in mind which means, they want to give you as much guitar without putting a dent in your wallet. They've been building up a following and are exclusive to Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, and Music 123. I haven't used it live since I just got it a couple of days ago but I'm very sure that this will hold up well with no issues at all. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing strictly acoustic now since March and since then, have amassed a collection of various guitars which include a Fender CD60CE, Fender DG-60, Epiphone DR-100, and now this one. I'm 56 years old and have been playing for 43 years and I find this guitar to be a lot of fun to play. It's the best thing going for a hundred smackers and I highly reccomend it for either a beginner or the guitarist who is on a budget. Not every great instrument has to have Fender or Gibson on the headstock. Variety is the spice of life and Mitchell guitars are a great buy for the buck. // 9

Comments