MD100S12 review by Mitchell

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Mitchell: MD100S12

I play mostly Irish folk and punk rock, and this guitar suits the first one quite well. It has a nice vibrant tone that's perfect for the rhythm part in most folk songs. It's sound can be a little too bright (even for a twelve string)if you're not careful though. One thing I have noticed about this guitar is that you can play loudly without affecting the tone quality too much which compensates for its lack of pickups. Definitely not a guitar for mellow songs though. Its tone is way too bright for that.

As far as my Irish folk goes I'm quite content. It has just the right amount of edge to the sound to suit the music style and it's brightness can be controlled once you learn how to handle it. I would certainly buy it again. If it was stolen and I didn't have the cash for a more high end brand. Very simple and very well done. Good job Mitchell.

I have played it at several parties and bonfires and it's held up quite well. I would feel comfortable playing it Live at a gig as part of an ensemble but as I said any gig too large would require an amp plug-in to be heard. All the hardware seems pretty solid. It's been a lot of places with me and has endured quite a few dings and I've even dropped it a few times. So far however it hasn't taken any major damage so I'd rate it fairly well as far as durability. It will stay in tune for weeks once I tune it and I've so far had no problems with the bridge or the tuners. I would definitely take it to a gig without a backup instrument.

For the price I paid this guitar can't be beat. As I've already mentions it blows away any competitors in it's price range. I can find nothing awry with it's setup. In essence this guitar is simplicity itself. It has the bare basics and as far as I can tell the folks at Mitchell did a fine job setting it up. however the neck has taken on the "slightest" bend after months and months of playing. Still for the price it's not bad.

It's really just your bare-bones dreadnought acoustic guitar. Made in Indonesia it has 21 jumbo frets along a rose-wood fret board and a nice clear finish that highlights the spruce top. It doesn't have any pickups but it's loud enough to not need them as long as you're not playing for too big of a crowd. For a basic guitar though it's not half bad. Definitely better than and Fender twelve strings I've played for the same price.

Kurt1964
    I have the same guitar, and after several months of playing, it developed a horrible "buzz". I've changed tha strings a few times, with various brands, and that "buzz" wont go away. I'm very disappointed.