MD100S12 review by Mitchell

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Mitchell: MD100S12

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Tonawanda New York

The style of music that I enjoy playing is mostly classic rock and Folk music, ie, George Harrison, Gordon Lightfoot etc. Normally a 12 string guitar is great for this type of music genre, though I'm not so sure this particular guitar is the right one for the job. It's sound is bright, very bright! Practically no bottom at all! And after several months of playing, it developed a horrible "buzz" to it. I went ahead and changed the strings several times(with various brands) hoping to eliminate this "buzz", and to achieve a fuller bass resinance to it, but to no avail. "Disapointing", would be the word here.

If the sound quality was better, this Mitchell would be a good match for the style of music I play. I've been playing for several years now, and I bought this guitar because I was taken by it's cheap price. I should have known better. I did cheque out other 12 strings... Fender, Epiphone etc., but once again, the cheap price did me in. And honestly, if this guitar were ever "lost or stolin"? I really wouldn't care. However I would be bummed about being out $200. Would I ever buy this guitar again? Not likely. The bottom line is this... You Get What You Pay For!

Will this guitar withstand Live playing? Probably. But it's sound quality is so poor, I don't take it out very often. It's hardware is well suited for this guitar though. The tuners are great, it holds it's tune very well, even after a couple of hours of playing. However if I were out playing Live, I would use this one as the "back-up".

The factory set-up of this Mitchell MD 100S, was average. The frets were seated properly and the neck needed no adjustment. Other than tuning the strings, the strap button did in fact, need to be tightened down. The acrylic finish has a couple flaws in it, a few drips, and a couple of air bubbles in it. But for $200.00, what do you want?

Well the Mitchell MD 100S 12, that I own was designed and engineered, in California(though I'm not sure where it was actually constructed), in 2007. It's neck is made up of Mahogany, and features "Mother of Pearl" dot inlay fret markers, on a 20 fret Rosewood fingerboard. Capping off the neck, is a beautifully designed headstock proudly boasting the Mitchell name in gold lettering. Accompaning this headstock are six pairs of chrome plated non-locking generic tuners. The body is of the Dreadnaught styling with a solid Spruce top, while the sides and back are made of Mahogany. On it's top is a black plastic pick guard, a Rosewood bridge with black bridge pins. A compensated saddle. And an Abalone Rosette with black and white purfling accents. The finish is natural, with a thin coating af acrylic. The guitar came with NO extras.

Kurt1964
    mrawsome61 wrote: i have the six string and it sounds and looks good
    The six string is NOT the twelve string... those are two completely different guitars.