MD100S12 review by Mitchell

Mitchell: MD100S12

The sound is big and does not need an amplifier. It is not as mellow as I had hoped, but still sounds and plays well. So far no buzzing but maybe because it is still rather new and not played a lot yet.

I always wanted to own and play a 12 string so this was a good entrance without spending a wad of cash to find out if I enjoyed playing one. I play classic rock, Cat Stevens, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, etc and it does them justice when playing. It sounds as good as 12 strings I tried costing much more and I am extremely happy with it. If I lost it I would probably buy a little more expensive one that has a more mellower tone now that I know it is so easy to play a 12 string.

It remains to be seen if it will last, but with regular cleaning and maintenance I expect it will be just fine. I did replace the factory strings right away with new D'Addario phosphorous bronze strings and now it sounds as good as it looks.

When I bought it the frets seemed to be at different heights and they were rough cut and sharp on the ends. The set from the factory was crappy and the neck was't straight but once I had it set up by a professional, it is like it is a different guitar. It is easy to fret now and the action is smooth. I had the fret ends filed smooth and no more sharp ends. Definitely need to consider getting this set up after purchase. It made a world of difference in playability and sound.

I bought this on sale during cyber Monday and got a great deal on it. It has a solid spruce top and rosewood sides and neck. The finish is excellent but could be a little better where the neck meets the body. All in all, not bad for the price I paid though.