B20 HG review by Norman

Norman: B20 HG

Purchased from: Steve's Music, Ottawa

I find this guitar suits my style great. When I first bought it, it was a really bright, lively sounding guitar but as the years have passed it has mellowed somewhat and now gives a softer fuller sound. As far as suiting my style, I've never really found a song that sounds out of place with it. I play anything from classic rock (Neil Young, Zeppelin) to mondern stuff (Foo Fighters, Silverchair) to country (Keith Urban) and it's never let me down - especially in the country department. I do however wish that there was more of a warmer feel to it at times, but it seems the B-20HG takes a middle of the road approach and does a great job at it for the price!

I bought this guitar around 6 years ago but havn't 'really' starting playing heavily until the last year or so. As of now, I love the damn thing. For the price, I'd put this guitar up against anything in the world. The fact that it is made in Canada speaks of the quality found in it. I love the sound, and I use Elixer strings which complete the package as far as I'm concerned. I havn't played alot of other acoustics, but I wonder if a slightly slimmer neck would help with agility? I'll deffinitely be keeping this guitar for another couple of years. When I make the upgrade to a 'better' guitar, I'll deffinitely stay with the Norman brand as the prices are incredibly because there's no escalated prices to pay for any mass marketing or for Norman to pay any celebs to use their products. Norman is a 'word of mouth' company and I hope they never change that.

I'm condident enough that the guitar would hold up to the rigours of live gigs, but I wonder whether it is loud enough to be able to project enough sound for a stage but otherwise the quality is there to for this guitar to last a long time. HArdware is solid and well put together and the gloss is still shiny and bright after six years.

Action is fine although I've been tempted lately to maybe file down the bridge to bring the action just a fraction closer. No flaws in the wood or vibrations seen anywhere as far as tuning pegs etc. There could have been a little nicer finish on the head of the guitar but otherwise the outwards appearance is great.

Bought the guitar around six years ago. 21 fret guitar, with solid spruce top with cherry back and sides that the Norman web-site says is warmer than maple but brighter than mohogany. The finish is top-notch as the lacquer finish Norman produces gives as nice a shine as youd want? After six years, the finish is still in great shape asides from the normal wear and tear expected.