1778LX Elite review by Ovation

Ovation: 1778LX Elite

Purchased from: Topsound

Unplugged, the sound is loud, bright and well-balanced with a great projetion. Some people may think it lacks some warmth, but that's just how these Ovation-guitars should sound. Suits for fingerpicking as well as strumming chords. Plugged in, the sound is amazing! One of the best electro-acoustic sounds available in my opinion. The OP-PRO preamp offers a lot of versatility to the sound and it can instantly move from mellow tones to rawer tones. I normally play it unplugged, but when plugged-in, I usually play it through Vox AD60VT combo. Sometimes I use the built-in effects (mostly chorus and reverb) of the AD60VT and it sounds very nice with them. You can even try to add some distortion to the sound. The result can be pretty interesting.

I just love everything about this guitar, the sound, the looks and the easy playabilty. I have tried all kinds of styles with this guitar and it has covered them all very well. I have been playing guitar about two and a half years and owned one acoustic before this, but it can't be even compared to this. I also own two electric guitars. If this guitar was stolen I would chase down the thief and get my guitar back, but also congratulate HIM for the great choice when choosing exactly this guitar model. This guitar has the looks and the sound and it offers all this for a fair price (at least in USA). But of course I must advise you to try one for yourself, because these guitars have a quite distinctive sound, which may not please everyone.

I haven't played live with it, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't withstand live playing. The strap buttons seem to be very solid. All the hardware seems to be very sturdy too and the tuners are great. I can go weeks without tuning it. Although, when I have to tune it, its great built-in tuner really helps. I just hope that preamp casing won't come off.

The neck is very comfortable which is one of the reasons I bought this guitar. The finish on the top is very shiny and beautiful and the epaulets offer a nice addition to the looks of this guitar. The only flaw that I can find is that the preamp seems to be a bit loose and often when I push or turn the controls I can hear an odd creaking sound. To be more precise it's actually the case of the preamp which is loose. Fortunately it doesn't hinder the use of the preamp and the case doesn't seem to be coming off so I should have nothing to worry about. I haven't seen this happening on any other Ovation guitar so I'm pretty sure that my guitar has just had a hit in the guitar shop or something.

Made in USA. It has a mid-depth semi-parabolic bowl, made of Lyrachord (a mix of composite materials), AA-grade solid Sitka spruce top, scalloped LX bracing, hand-inlaid epaulets and gold tuners. The neck is made of mahogany/maple and it has an ebony fingerboard. The guitar is equipped with an original patented pickup and an OP-PRO preamp w/chromatic tuner. My guitar has a black cherryburst finish which looks absolutely beautiful. Specially designed hard case was included.

ZoxRoxMySox
    ovations are the best acustic guitar ever. i hav an old celebrity and it kicks ass
    SURFraptor7
    I like ovations, but the rounded back really annoys me. Especially if you're playing standing up, it makes playing rather uncomfortable... for me anyway.
    Larsalicious
    I see you paid 2165.94 for yours at Topsound. I was kinda surprised by this. I got mine at Guitar Center in Dallas for about 1000, and I love it. I mean yeah, sometimes I wish it had the warmth, and sometimes I wish it would be easier to play upright, but I love it. I have a question for you though, what strings do you use for yours? I need to get a new set, and I don't know what to get. I was thinking Elixir, but I'm not sure. Also, I have mine in New England Cherry burst, and it is just beautiful.
    yahooneil
    Larsalicious - I use Elixirs on my 2002 Collectors, they are the best strings I have used. Sound is 90% as good as d'Addarios, but they last 3 times as long. Love the guitar, great live, but dynamically it's not a patch on my Guild D52.