1778LX Elite review by Ovation

Ovation: 1778LX Elite

I play jazz, funk, acoustic, and two hand tapping stuff, and it all sounds great. You have enough control to have high highs or low lows. No matter what your preference it's good. Fully acoustic with a set of Brand New Martin marquis and it sounds scrumdiddliumshes. I also do a lot of slap, and it has a great punch. You need to have the shape on though. If you go raw it doesn't sound good. Just in case you don't know, the shape that I am speaking of is built in so no worries.

I play funk, acoustic, reggae, psychedelia, Indie, blues, jazz, and it kick ass for all of it. I have been playin for 7 years. If it was lost or stolen I would probably either get another one or a really good Martin because I got a little more money now. I love how beautiful it is, and how crisp it sounds. I hate the customers service and the 3 1/2mm action, but that is better than a Taylor or a Martin. I wish it had a hawaii water fountain on it.

I play out with this guitar all the time, and it never messed up, but it is still a baby. The burrs on the bridge cause it to pop D strings left and right. I don't know if this is a common problem, but it wouldn't surprise me because the bridges have a triangle shape and seem a little too sharp, but I could be wrong.

The guitar was horribly set up. Normally all of the crappy ovations in the stores had great action, but this one I ordered so the Ovation reps that go to the stores for maintenance never got there hands on it. The finish is very thick. There was also a bad neck set at the heel, and burrs on the bridge. As far as the bad neck set, it is covered by the warranty, but I need to pay to ship it back to them which is bull mother fuc*ing sh*t cr*p whore! The bad neck set caused the strings to hit the bridge, and I can't get the action below about 3 to 4 mm at the twelfth fret on the Low E string and I want 2mm.

My axe of love was a 2007, made in the USA. AA spruce top. Exotic woods surrounding resonating chamber holes, gold hardware, natural finish, mother of pearl inlays, mojo, op pro preamp, built in tuner, and came with a case. The preamp has gain lows highs and mids. There is also a preset shape button that needs to be on in my opinion.