Applause AE28 review by Ovation

Ovation: Applause AE28

Purchased from: eBay

This guitar offers an excellent sound for the price payed, and still would be at retail. It responds well in all tones, and is good for playing anything from light finger picking to hard chord strumming. I am not using it trough an amp at the moment, but when I do it sounds great, with and without my effects pedal. It is easy to get harmonics and simple sounds from the guitar, as well as more complicated appagios and such. The sound can be used for easylistening etc. to acoustic rock and even more heavy stuff like Rage Against The Machine, sounding very similar to electric guitars in some cases.

It's very nice, the colouring is superb and the sound suits it well. I fit were stolen or lost then I would probably get a higher model, but only because I have a job now.

This guitar can be used at home on the stage and even in the middle of a field (if that's what you want). The hardware has lasted me for several years and obviously many more becuase of the previous owner. It's a very solidly built guitar and would esily stand uo to giging and I would deffinitly use ot as my only acoustic guitar at a gig. The finsih has not deteriorated scince I bought it and it only seems to deteriorate from serious hits.

Action was perfect when I got it, it was bought second hand though, so I can't really comment on how the factory set it up. I bought it at a mojor discount because of some cosmetic flaws from giging, but everything else was stop on.

The guitar has 20 frets with dots at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 (double), 15 and 17. The frets are medium and the fretboard is made from rosewood (very nice on this example). The top of the guitar is made from spruce (I think) and the trademark bowl back is made from Lyrachord, which provides its unique sound. The neck itself is made from mahogany, as is the bridge. It is equipped with Ovation tuners (that run very smoothly) and also has a strap pint on the bottom of the body and the top of the topside. The preamp is simple and has only a tone and a 'gain' (it's really a volume slide) and it plugs into the amp by means of a jack plug on the bottom right of the guitars back (not through the strap point).

MastaBassist10
    You can comment on reveiws? Woah... Anyways, I was not impressed by this model of Ovation, even though Ovation is my favorite acoustic guitar brand. The wood isn't that great and the bowl is very shallow, so it doesn't project well at all.
    BrokenWingman
    I have tried this model, but i'm a huge fan of ovation guitars, so i'll agree that this is a great guitar.
    snake83
    i own this model along with a yamaha. I really do love this guitar, but the wood isn't that good of quality. On the other hand the action is great and it does put out a great sound