Applause AE28 review by Ovation

Ovation: Applause AE28

Purchased from: Ebay

For the price I got this guitar, the sound is awesome. The sound that comes from it is amazing whether you have the tone high or low, and I use my own Philipson PX15 amp which works well with the guitar. The thing I like is that if it is put into my amp in the high input jack, it becomes fun to mess around with the controls, like getting heavy distorted bass notes or clean rich notes. There is a lot of variety, especially with the amplifier I am using at the moment, and you can get various sounds from just two controls on the preamp.

I play lots of rock music, but wanted to do so on an electro-acoustic for a change, and not going full out on an electric. This works for me very well. I have taught myself for the past year and a bit, and I own a Vintage Les Paul, an Encore Stratocaster and a Yamaha RBX170, and this is the best guitar for the lot. I asked if it had any blemishes before buying, and did not so I went for it. I love the sound mainly and its simple and basic, not confusing. My favourite feature is the roundback making it easy to play, however the decoration around the soundhole is fairly plain, maybe something a bit more lively would have been better! I compared it to various other Ovation guitars, but this for the price was the best buy. The only thing I wish it had is a darker blue colour and not so turquoisey!

There is no doubt this guitar sounds awesome whether I play it without an amp in my room, or live with an amp. It has reliable features, and the strings don't seem like they will wear out (like my previous strings on my electric). The strap buttons are firmly rooted on, so there is no chance of dropping this while standing up. I would do a gig with this without a back up as I can trust it for what it is, and theres no reason not too because everything is perfect. It won't wear out with playing and will last me a good number of years.

The internation is perfect as the previous owner had this guitar professionally set up for him before selling it to me, so it's great for me! There were no flaws when I purchased it, only that the 6th string buzzes occasionally if I strike it too hard, but thats just my poor guitar playing! Condition wise, it is perfect apart from a scuff at the top, which is barely visible.

My own version of the Ovation Applause AE28 was made in Korea and has 21 frets, althought the last fret cant be played, so 20. The fretboard is rosewood and the top is spruce. Also the neck is made from mahogany. It has a cutaway so you can access the higher frets and has a Kaman preamp with tone and gain controls. It has the unique Ovation tuners and at the top there is the Ovation Applause logo, which gives you room to stick your capo on the top when youre not using it! The part I like about it is the position of the plug for the lead, it is on the back of the guitar, not at the bottom like on any ordinary guitar. Also it has a roundback unlike most acoustics, and is easy to play whether standing or sitting!

spannerhead
    I got one of these quite recently, and after playing a cheap imitation strat for three years this is like dying and going to heaven.
    angus69
    gibson are so much better... there much more rock n' roll.. but i have to say that i don't mind telecasters
    OneLastSaluteFW
    i have the Ovation Celebrity CC057 and i've played a few acoustics twice the price and it has some unparalelled tones
    BrokenWingman
    I love Ovations, I own a similiar model, beautiful sound, and throw some elixir strings on there and you're set.
    Bryce-433
    With or without an amp the tone on this guitar is, how should I say it.....cute. It sounds better than my Greg Bennett series dreadnought acoustic.
    kilburni
    Great guitar. I picked it up for 90 bucks used at daddy's junky music. What a steal! Plays as well as the celebrities and other ovations i've played and has a great tone. A little cheap feeling in places but its the bottom of the line guitar. Great buy for short money!