Applause AE28 review by Ovation

Ovation: Applause AE28

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

I play mostly acoustic music and this guitar just sounds great. The bass end of the spectrum is a little bit weak but the guitar really doesn't sound all that plasticy, which is a complaint that a lot of people I know have had with ovations in the past. I like the sound of the guitar for the most part. It's not very loud which is good for my dorm room and there's really no buzzing when playing chords which is a nice change from my Epiphone acoustic.

Overall, I would say the guitar fits my needs perfectly. I just live in a dorm room and don't like having anything too big taking up space so my electric/amp combo was pretty much out of the question. I was using an Epiphone starter-pack acoustic and that just wasn't doing the trick so I needed something new. I found this at a great price and couldnt pass on the deal. After only playing for about a year I just couldn't imagine spending high amounts of money for a guitar and this just fit my situation perfectly. If I were to lose it or have it stolen, I would definately consider buying a new one. I love the finish of the guitar and it's playability when playing chords. I hate the higher action closer to the bridge because I like to goof around and play solo's on my acoustic and this makes it difficult. But I have to say that this is just a small blemish on what I see as a very nice guitar. In comparison to the more expensive ovations, I think that this guitar holds up nicely. The only feature that I wish it had is an onboard tuner, but I can survive with the acoustic-mic tuner I already have. For the most part, however, I would say that the guitar is more than decent for beginner and intermediate players or just anyone that needs a lightweight or cheap guitar. For the price paid or even the list price, I would rate this guitar a 9 overall.

I haven't gigged with this guitar as I'm just a recreational player but I feel like the guitar would be reliable enough to gig with if someone wanted to. The strap buttons are nice and solid and hold up well. The guitar seems to be pretty dependable but I don't think that anyone would gig with it without a backup, number one, because it's just a cheap guitar with not a lot of sound options, and number two, because gigging without a backup is just dumb. On the whole, however, I would say this is a very dependable guitar, especially for someone Who just wants a small in home or travel guitar.

I think that the previous owner of this guitar may have had it professionally set up because the action is buttery smooth. This guitar frets like an electric with the 11guage strings I have on it and I love that feel in an acoustic. The action does get higher when you get closer to the bridge which is kind of a pain because it can get annoying having to push extremely hard to play up around the 12th fret and higher.

I'm not quite sure what year my model is but it's a beautiful cherry burst color with a 20-fret rosewood fretboard and a very shallow bowl back. It has a nice cutaway in the body allowing the player access to all 20 frets on the fretboard. It has a string-thru bridge which is very convenient for restringing purposes. The electronics on the guitar sound nice (I only have plugged it in in the store before I purchased it) although I don't have much use for the electric portion of the guitar. I'm not sure of the brand of the tuners but they are non locking and keep the guitar in tune pretty well. Because I bought it used I didn't get any accessories with it but I did buy a gig bag from daddy's that was nice and fit it perfectly for only 30 bucks. The guitar definately has a great amount of features for the price paid.

dezibond
    HI, DOES THE Applause AE28 PREAMP NEED A BATTERY IF SO WHERE IS IT LOCATED AND WHAT TYPE OF BATTERY DOES IT NEED ?
    sloar293000
    I have one of these and have never played a guitar I liked better, which I've played a bunch of acoustic guitars. I don't think there is a better neck anywhere. Mine has really low action with no buzzes whatsoever, better than my Gibson Les Paul, actually. I don't think any guitar compares to Ovation for the money, and of my dozen guitars this is the one I play the most. Yes, it does fall down in your lap when playing seated, but just put a strap on it. I can't believe all these forum sites that ask for all your Google/Facebook/Yahoo information just to post??? WTF??? Am I supposed to feel privileged to help someone make a decision on what guitar to buy, and now this site has all my contacts, website info, etc? F'ing outrageous!!! I'm going to protest this crappy situation!
    JEFF57
    How do you determine the year & where an ovation guitar was made?
    conorkelly1982
    I picked up a AE28 m model second hand for 100. tbh the unplugged sound nice and the action is good, but it really isn't cut out for plugging into a PA, even with a DI box. The plastic back takes all the bass out of the sound and makes the sound very twangy with high end. Also the wood used in the neck is poor quality, any bumps on this baby and its scarred for life. 5/10
    anthonybro198
    Why aren't these applause ovation brands selling much in Canada, all i get online is USA and china online sales sites, whats up Canada no one sells these here for a reasonable price instead of a pricey us shipping cost and an import tax cost especially on eBay, bull shit what a rip off act that honest hard working Canadian customers should have to pay the extra cost for over seas investors ...
    anthonybro198
    Hello anyone, everyone where can i buy these applause ovation /electric guitars used/new at a reasonable price in Canada lets start with Toronto,Scarborough,Pickering thanks ..