CC057 Celebrity review by Ovation

Ovation: CC057 Celebrity

Purchased from: eBay

My music style requires jumping from electric (LP Std) guitar and acoustic because of the variations in music I play. My influences are Guns N' Roses, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zep. I enjoy putting some rock songs to acoustic and they are every bit as good on the Ovation. I use an Marshall Valvestate AVT275 combo amp with this guitar, and combined with the amps acoustic sim I can make the sound as splinter sharp or as dull as needed. This is one of the best guitar's for the money, but if playing at higher than bedroom volumes through an amp, you need to buy a Feedback Buster or the like (sound hole anti-feedback rubber cap) if facing towards the amp while playing. Overall this guitar is suited to those electric fingers who want a low action acoustic guitar that is very light!

This guitar suits my music perfectly. The guitar is a lovely honey burst which shows the wood finish and match line perfectly through its trans finish. I have been playing for 3 years, and have learnt quite quickly over the passed few months. If it were stolen I would definitely instantly buy another! Only positives, no hates about the guitar at all! My favourite feature is the onboard Eq, which allows to adjust tone without an extra pedal ruining your signal. I wish it had solid gold tuners, other than that its perfect!

This guitar is for someone with a bit of an idea on how to look after bowel backs. The neck join with the bowel back is very strong, however if broken can be repaired easily by trained pro's. I would gig with this guitar without a backup, I trust it so much. Strap buttons are solid, but when strap ends are tight they can loosen the screws occassionally. I have grown into a routine with all my guitars to check these things. The finish looks very strong, however I do live in a central heated home and always ensure I have a reservoir (humidifier) left in the guitar when not in use. I also use a tiny drop of lemon oil on the fingerboard (to reduce dry-wood effects) and jim dunlop polishes and wax's on the body.

I bought this guitar second hand (1 year old hardley played) and the action was superb. Obviously its only adjustable via luthiers so it's important that it stays perfect. The bridge understring pickup (the strings lay over the top of the fixed intonation strip which doubles as a pickup) is very good and catches all those lovely tones whether its strummed in a trebly manor (near the bridge) or more towards the neck. Zero flaws by the manufacturer!

My Ovation was made in 2002 according to its serial number and is made in USA. Model CC057 specifications: - 6-string acoustic/electric - Body type: s/shallow cutaway - Top: spruce - Bracing: a brace - Scale length: 25 1/4 - Fretboard: rosewood - Fret inlay: dots & diamonds - Bridge: walnut - Rosette: Ovation oakleaf - Pickup: thinlines - Nutwidth: 1 11/16 - Machines: chrome - Pre-Amp: OP20 (very good pre-amp with master volume, 3-band EQ, pre-shape, EQ on/off and chromatic tuner), battery is easily changed, but lasts a long time. This guitar being a bowel back, is very very light and contrary to popular beliefs on some bowel backs, it sounds great plugged or unplugged!