CC245 Celebrity review by Ovation

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Ovation: CC245 Celebrity

Purchased from: ebay

This Celebrity suits me... PERFECTLY. As my other Celebrity review stated, I want a deep sounding guitar, without overwhelming the mids and highs (who doesn't). Also as in a previous review, I love fingerpicking, i.e; Michael Hedges, Doug Smith, percussive ala Preston Reed, Erik Mongrain, etc. When tapping, percussive or overall just pounding on this guitar (ever so gently, lol), the percussive sounds are stellar, plugged or not. The overall sound is full bodied, and the mids and hi's are very clear and distinct. Unplugged the guitar sounds fantastic, and similar when plugged in. The guitars sound exceeds my expectations. Please see other reviews per amp gear I use.

This guitar has surprised me actually, and I have been neglecting my others because of this one (even my perfect 10 baritone). If the tuners were better, this guitar would exceed my expectations, and receive almost perfect scores, and get a 10 in my overall. I would highly recommend this guitar for any level or style of playing, and for the money, this one may extremely hard to beat.

The guitar would most certainly stand up to gigging, but would not have confidence in the tuners, that being said, so far the guitar has stayed in tune, I have challenged this guitar, but I haven't gigged with it yet. Questionable hardware (tuners), strap buttons good, the finish seems good.

Ovation guitars seem to be set up fine from the factory, however, I like an extremely low action, that's where Ovation stays at 10 on action setup, their shim setup is stellar. The electronics (EQ) seem fine, as well as the tuner. The tuning pegs on this guitar seemed fair, so I replaced them, because of this the guitar falls to a 9, I wanted black tuners anyway. Overall in this category, less the tuner issue, the guitar is great.

Description: 6 String Acoustic / Electric Body Type: Mid-Depth Cutaway Top: Spruce Bracing: Modified X Scale Length: 25 1/4" Fretboard: White Bound Rosewood Fret Inlay: Abalone Dots Bridge: Walnut Sound Hole: Center Rosette: Inlayed Abalone Preamp: OP-4BT Pickup: Ovation Slimline Pickup Nutwidth: 1 11/16" Machines: Gold