CC29S-4C Celebrity review by Ovation

Ovation: CC29S-4C Celebrity

Purchased from: Ebay

This Celebrity suits me... So so, I want a deep sounding guitar, without overwhelming the mids and highs. As in a previous review, I love fingerpicking, i.e; Michael Hedges, Doug Smith, that being said, this model falls short of my overall expectations. Please see other review (per amp gear I use). The sound is absolutely full bodied, almost too full, not bad when plugged in. Ovation deep bowl guitars start at approx $2000-$4000, so I decided to try the newest edition... Celebrity. Unplugged the guitar is limited to deep tones, actually kind of muddled, but plugged in it's easy to adjust.

For really deep tones unplugged, I would have to say the this guitar easily meets my expectations, but the drawback is that the deepness overwhelms the mids and the highs. I appreciate Ovations interest in offering a guitar less than $2000 for a deep bowl design, but they need to do better, maybe this was a trial model. While I appreciate it, Ovation hopefully will pay attention and adjust accordingly...

The guitar would most likely stand up to gigging, I would have confidence with this guitar alone... Plugged in. I wonder if they will offer a more sturdy bodied model, as is the case with most Ovations. Tuning stays consistent. Questionable hardware(tuners), strap buttons ok, the finish seems good.

Ovation guitars seem to be set up fine from the factory, however, I like an extremely low action, that's where Ovation stays at 10 on action setup, their shim setup is stellar. Most acoustics are setup the way they are, not Ovation. The guitar did have some fretboard (frets) flaws, I luckily knew how to fix. Not sure if it's a common problem, but I got one that had a prob. One of the tuning knobs seemed loose, cannot tighten, and maybe the lower quality top has affected the sound I'm looking for. Again the fretboard was flawed, and this body seems thin, almost flimsy... The electronics (EQ) seem fine, as well as the tuner.

Acoustic / Electric - Body Type: Deep Contour - Top: Solid Cedar - Bracing: Modified Quintad - Scale Length: 25 1/4" - Fretboard: Rosewood - Fret Inlay: Abalone Micro Dots - Bridge: Rosewood - Sound Hole: Center - Rosette: Abalone - Preamp: OP-4BT - Machines: Chrome w/ PVC Coating - Pickup: Ovation Slimline

locorogue
    I know they only offered a handful of these guitars pre-release, so if anyone else has one of these, i would love to hear your opinion. After my review, and upon further investigation, i think i got a lemon, i just realized that the fretboard is not squared. Now i know Ovation wanted to offer a deep bowl design for a better price. In my case i'm amazed at Ovation for the absolute poor quality of this guitar the more i check it out. I will send photos to Ovation and hopefully they will remedy this. I would suggest that if you were going to buy one, if you can obviously check one out physically, DO IT, and if only online, ask for some good photos, especially the base of the neck where it sits at the the sound hole, and ask if the hardware is good. Unbelievable i didn't notice this earlier...
    locorogue
    update: Ovation has been stellar in their support, they more or less will do what it takes to correct any issue. I have found a local luthier, and Ovation said more or less send them the bill if i didn't want to send guitar back to them. By all means try any and all Ovations, they are stellar, i just got a lemon, which was corrected without much issue, now i have a one of a kind...may upload a photo, but the new design may be catchy.
    locorogue
    Since my initial post per this guitar, and via extensive playing, this guitar is easily an overall 9 since the mods. I have also installed a permanent Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking pup, I would say the only thing this guitar lacks right now is the deep full bodied percussive sound of my CC11 and D-scale.
    locorogue
    After extensive time with this guitar since my initial review, i would re-rate this one to a 9 overall. I am finding that each of my Ovations are fitting into different styles i play. I have found that this guitar is perfect for my 'flamenco' style and/or mass note fingerpicking in a short period of time(lol) playing. Of course the mods have almost perfected this guitar, i was going to sell this one but have since fallen back in love. I also tune 1 whole step down, so to some this may be worthy of note...
    mymartind35
    locorogue
    mymartind35 wrote: I just bought a new one and everything is fine. It's well balanced and, of course, sounds great plugged in. I own an Adamas W597 graphite and this guitar has almost as much bass. After it gets a little age on it it will.
    Good for you,as i said in my review i think i got a lemon, i did email Ovation on this, and then they suddenly took this guitar off their website. Not saying it was because of me, probably alot of folks(who knows), but they just put it back up a month+ ago. And again i say this mother(post mods) is quite the perfect guitar for my fingerpicking now, and the mods are quite stunning, never seen any guitar yet like this one, i'll have to post pics somewhere. Anywho, if you haven't tried the 2078TX and have the opportunity to do so(very deep), i say do it, amazing.