Celebrity review by Ovation

Ovation: Celebrity

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

I play emo, acoustic and other stuff with this guitar. Performs very well live, giving a better sound on an amp than playing by itself. The pickups are sensitive and nice, pick up every note I play. However feeds back like crazy when the gain and volume are too loud. It is pretty versatile with effects, can handle light distortion if I was playing some teenage dirtbag by wheatus. I've also used a phase shifter and various delay effects with the guitar to try and achieve chorus sounds, didn't really get it, but still got very soothing, smooth effects. (great with alternate tunings) The acoustic live sound on it is kind of weak, not too great by itself (sorta "papery" as I describe it) however it makes up for it's sound when plugged in. It gives a pretty good variety of sound and can handle different tunings well.

Well for the style of music and experimentation I enjoy, this guitar has so far not failed me. I'm surprised to say this guitar can still take me to other places, and I'm looking forward to the different sounds it can supply me with. I love the sound of it plugged in, but I really don't play it aside from then. the guitar is small and very comfortable due to the archbowl shape or great to play while standing up with a strap. If it was stole or lost, I would definetly think about buying it again (american made of course), but wouldn't hesitate to go for a Takamine or something. I love it's electronic versatility but as I said before, by itself the sound drives me crazy. I wish it had a more convincing acoustic sound when played by itself by I highly recommend this guitar if you wish to play only for fun with electric and acoustic.

The guitar is made out of plastic and lacks a pick up guard so under the sound hole I have a whack load of pick scratches. Lasted me through every gig I've been through although once the cord jack got loose and I had to pay 12 bucks to get it fixed. The hardware if very nice, no problems at all, strap buttons haven't failed me once. I depend heavily on the guitar for it's great electric sound but it's not the most fun guitar to play if you're at home by yourself. I'd be careful with it though cos I know from experience from others it bruises like a fine lady, so jus keep it in the hard case.

The guitar was set up in the factory but the morons used lights which gave crazy action. I changed the strings to mediums, work fine now. The pickups were very well adjusted to the guitar and the bridge was very well routed. The cutaway is comfortable and easy to reach for high frets. The neck is well rounded, no problem. Very good for those with smaller hands and still convenient with those with slightly larger hands. The finish however is glossy therefore if you have fingerprints on it, they're clearly seen under the lights and need constant maintenance.

Let's see made in 2001 and has 20 frets, gives great active electronics built in. It's sadly made in korea however I still love it. The pickup settings give bass, treble, middle and gain (all great), black gloss finish. Not too sure about the fretboard. Has a single cutaway finish and an archbowl body. I think the body is made out of plasic or something, weird.