Celebrity review by Ovation

Ovation: Celebrity

Purchased from: used

I bought this guitar so I didn't have to lug an amp everywhere when I play - I am essentially an electric player, so I decided on a bowl back. My only criticism is the slightly too quiet and sometimes a little thin sound, but when plugged in these problems are eliminated. Whether unplugged or not, it delivers sparkling Acoustic cleans. I tried it with distortion by mistake once, and although I would not recommend you distort the sound, it handles it better than many acoustics!

The guitar was bought for portability and toughness. It fulfills both of those criteria, and hits a lot of other points that I never realized when I bought it! Even though it is only a cheap(ish) Acoustic I feel really attached to it, and its feel and tone. The curved back and thin neck make it very useful for players who are used to electric guitars.

I have gigged with this, and indeed, I now depend on it for many of my cleans over my electrics! It is easy to take to gigs, the tuner is built in, so you don't need to carry one, and the fiberglass back is so tough you could take it anywhere! The strap buttons are rock solid, the tuners are tight, and honestly, I trust this guitar as much as my PRS Swamp Ash Special, the 'gem' of my collection, and would happily gig with it with no backup! (and have done so!)

As I bought this used, I cannot comment on factory setup, but the guitar was in mint condition, and I checked it over carefully when I got it home. No blemishes in the finish or the wood. All parts are high quality and of the small amount of metal hardware, it was unblemished. The inlays are quite small but they were also fitted very nicely and give the guitar another electric style touch.

I am afraid I don't know much about my individual guitar. The guitar has a very thin neck, which is easy to play on, a fiberglass bowl back which fits very snugly and tucks in to your body like an electric guitar would. It has a built in tuner and can be plugged in - after this there is a 3 band EQ and gain control to further modify your tone.

drunicusrex
    I have a CC68 as a beater and it's a tough little guitar. I like it for practicing or for busking in places where I don't want to take my Ovation CE. Pickups are decent. It's a great, affordable, durable axe, nice for students or casual players. Playable and lively, not the greatest tone unplugged, but a great value.