CS257 Celebrity Deluxe review by Ovation

Ovation: CS257 Celebrity Deluxe

Purchased from: Asheboro Pawn

The sound is great, if not a little quiet, for my music style. mostly I play finger picking songs so it is quiet. With an amp though this thing really shines. If you are looking for an acoustic guitar that you don't have to mic, this could be your one. It is noisy with a lot of distortion, but it's an acoustic so why would you want that? This guitar has a more Martin-esque sound being more dark and full then it's brother guitars. The inotation was fine when I got this guitar but lately the bridge has been buzzing at the D string.

This is a great match for anyone that plays acousticore, rhythm, and needs a good guitar for live playing. Overall, though, it comes a little short in overall loudness unplugged. I've been playing for about 3 years and own a slew of other guitars, and this is my favorite acoustic-electric. If it were stolen I would definatly buy another! these things aren't wallet busters, and are very well made guitars. The only thing I wish it had were bigger soundholes so that it would be louder acousticly.

This guitar would definitely withstand Live playing. In fact that was what it was made for! The hardware seems like it will last, and the strap buttons are on tight. I would use it with a backup though, because the pickup can fall out if you don't make sure it's clipped in the middle. The finish seems a tad thin and there is no pickguard, but this would just add even more flair to an already flamboyant guitar.

The action on this guitar was great when I got it. It was just high enough to play slide but low enough so that you can play normally without changing guitars. The pickup was fine when I got the guitar, but is held in with a clip making it fall out if the guitar moves suddenly. The only flaw I saw on the guitar was that the tuning pegs were slightly rusted, but that helped me bargain for it. I doubt that that would affect new guitars, though, since I bought mine used.

This guitar was made in 2005, and made in Korea. It has a teardrop fretboard with 21 frets on the low 3 strings and 23 for the higher 3 strings. I am not sure of the scale of the guitar, but the inotation was fine when I bought it. The fingerboard is made of rosewood. The body wood is maple, and the neck wood is some exotic wood, that I'm not sre of. There is a transparent finish, and it is a very thinline cutaway. The bridge style is just a modded classical version (no pins). The electronics are active (pre-amp needs batteries) and the controls given are, volume, bass, treble, mid, EQ in/out, pre shape, and mid-shift. It also has a built in chromatic tuner (the preamp is OP30). I have not looked at the pickup yet, but am sure that it is an Ovation. it has non locking tuners, Ovation brand (look like mini-grovers). My guitar came with a fitted case. You will need this case if you buy this guitar because the backing is so oddly shaped.