CS257 Celebrity Deluxe review by Ovation

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Ovation: CS257 Celebrity Deluxe

Purchased from: Ebay Store

I am a beginner (to guitar playing) and bought this to start accompanying myself. After settling in with this guitar, I found the tone to be without depth or nuance. At first I thought it was my novice playing, but after trying a few other guitars, I realized it was due to the construction of this particular instrument.

I've been learning on some typical Acoustic material (folk, rock, indie), and as I've only been playing "seriously" for a few months, my feedback may (or may not) be good only for beginners. However, I do believe my assessment of the tone of this instrument is accurate and for that reason alone, I would steer away. It is a beautiful looking guitar, which is deceiving. If you have accomplished (i.e. strong) hands, this is a decent "bang for the buck". It's a good choice for a second guitar for travel, camping, etc. As it is constructed well, lightweight, and you won't mind if you daughter has her way with it.

The synthetic back is sturdy and the rest of the guitar is put together well. That, coupled with a case that looks like it could withstand just about any abuse encountered in routine travel.

The neck is rather thin and worked for my hands. However, I found that the action, which at first seemed low, to be stiff and therefore very difficult for this beginner's hands. The guitar itself is beautiful; the wood inlay pieces around the soundhole are typical of Ovation's design aesthetic.

Made in Korea, thinline, cutaway style, 23 frets, rosewood fretboard. Spruce top, laminated with walnut bridge. On board OP-30 preamp with a 3-band EQ, tuner, and a bypass switch. Thinline, under saddle pickup. Gold hardware.

andrewgodin
    Found someone on Kijiji selling this guitar for $1800. That seems pretty steep to me. Were there any versions of the guitar that were manufactured in the U.S. that might justify what this person is asking? I want to offer $500, seeing as how it comes with the case. Does that sound like a fair price?