Elite TX 2078TX-5 review by Ovation

Ovation: Elite TX 2078TX-5

Price paid: A$ 720

Purchased from: Billy Hyde/Allans Music

I play a lot of blues and rock and heavier stuff, but love doing acoustic covers of these genres. This guitar have a wonderful acoustic tone for the heavier tunes as it is quite bass-y (though, definitely not muddy!) and has a full, rich tone about it. I played it at a wedding just this weekend gone with no effects, straight into the PA and it sounded great (and it got me a lot of compliments on both sound and looks!). The OP-Pro system works amazingly well with little complication and getting the right sound is readily achievable when plugged in. Everything I've attempted from warm, rich acoustic sounds through to sharp rock sounds are all accessible (as an electro-acoustic can allow!).

If someone stole this guitar I would be a blubbering mess and once I saved up enough money I would definitely find another one! The only bad thing I can say about this guitar (and this is a STRETCH at "bad") is that they put the god-awful "Made in Korea" stickers in obvious places all over the thing! One the headstock, clearly visible inside the sound holes etc. Not a massively hard thing to rectify, so no points deducted for the stickers or for being made in Korea for that matter; plays and sounds heaps better than many American, UK, Chinese and even other Korean instruments I have played! I did a LOT of research before purchasing this guitar as money is hard for me to come buy and I wanted one for life. The durability, sound, finish and looks are better than anything I could have imagined! I had never owned an acoustic where the action didn't sit uncomfortably high (but this is more likely due to my technique being as poor as it is) and until came across this brand and model I had almost given up hope - I had begun researching how to simulate acoustic sounds on my Gibson. Once I found this and played it I haven't looked anywhere else for acoustic solutions - this one ticks all the boxes for me. To all the purists out there, seriously, give it a try and you will find yourself pleasantly surprised!

Have used it a couple of times, though not extensively and I would like to think that it would be able to put up with a lot of punishment - though it won't find much of that with this owner! I wouldn't worry about a backup guitar, but would definitely take backup 9V battery and strings. All hardware looks like it will go the distance so no worries in that department and I'd say the finish and materials this guitar sports are very well suited to longevity! Looking forward to a long life together!

Overall (assuming it were straight from the factory) it was perfect. The strings were slightly worn and just a bit of dust (from being played by one or two customers prior to me getting my grubby mits on it) but absolutely no blemishes/cracks etc. This may not even be immediately noticeable due to the (awesome) matte black finish (which matches my Gibson SG Special 3 Pickup nicely!). Action was fine from the factory, but I still took the smallest shim out when I out the new strings on which is incredibly simple to do! Big props to Ovation on this design! Intonations all perfect straight away - although I understand this is checked and correct where necessary by the chain I purchased through so this may not be accurate... I'm giving this a 9 due to strings and battery (which are probably not Ovation's fault anyway) just because that's how it was when I bought it.

My 2078 is a current model (2012) as far as I'm aware as it was one one of the latest batch in to the country through our only distributor. Most features are already described in previous reviews so I won't go too far down that path. I will say that mine came with a semi-hard case which in more than adequate for local duties - I would only consider upgrading should I suddenly become famous and need to fly with it... I have been looking for a good acoustic for quite some time now and my research led me to this brand mainly due to their claims of durability and play-ability. This particular model appealed to me due to it's no frills and no fancy/pretty stuff looks and it's tone upon hearing it.

dbennett1152
    Pickup: Ovation Thinline Pickup: Ovation Thinline ??? mine has a Ovation OCP-1K Pickup
    Pres Avocado
    Hi, I came upon your review of the 2078TX, which I own, when I was searching for information about upgrading it with the Idea preamp. I have a couple of questions for you, if you wont mind. How do you install the Idea? I've seen video's where it just pops in, but when I remove my stock preamp there's a cable connected, going into the body. How does the Idea stack up against the stock preamp? I'd rather not sacrifice quality, and would rather record using another device when it means my guitar won't sound as good through an amp. How does the Idea look with the guitar, seeing as its silver? Thank you!