Indianola AE-N Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 09/23/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

6.9
 4.8
 1,630
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Indianola AE-N Reviewed by: Calum_Barrow, on september 23, 2005

Features: To be honest, I don't know what year it was made in, but I got it early in 2004 if I remember correctly. There it was on the wall, and I promptly asked to have a go. It sounded nice unplugged and plugged in, and I came back to buy it next morning. It was 119 down from 200 and something, probably because it's old stock or something. I haven't seen many Peavey acoustics at all, but I like this one. It has a very distinct bridge, solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides, non-cutaway western body style, tortoiseshell pickguard, binding front and back, bound rosewood fretboard, bound headstock, under saddle Artec Piezo and a Peavey 3 band EQ/preamp. Satin finish on the neck/headstock and gloss on the body. I'd like to have an EQ with more bands, but it does the job. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of acoustic music, and at the time of writing is my only acoustic-electric. Also, I don't own an acoustic amp as of now, so I just play it through a normal guitar/keyboard amplifier when I want to play louder. I will play Folk, country, rock, blues, slide; anything that can be played really on it and it can handle each style well. It gives a nice full tone when unplugged, and has a loud output, and surprisingly quite a lot of sustain to go with it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it it was set up perfectly, and I haven't made any adjustments myself apart from a good few string changed since then. For all the time that I've had it I haven't seen anything go wrong with it. The only ting that has changed is that the satin finish what once covered the back of the neck has been worn to a gloss really, what with all the many long hours I've played it for, but this doesn't affect the playability at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't used this guitar live yet, but it does seem like it would handle a show with ease. I've hit it on walls numerous times, and I can't see any dents or scratches on it, as it's very hard wearing (at least to my experience). the only wear really is a few scratches on the scratchplate and the finish on the back of the neck now more like a gloss. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Folk, country, blues, rock among other things on this guitar, and I can play all without too much trouble at all. The graphic EQ does help achieve more sounds. I've been playing for around two years probably, and I was nowhere near as clued up as I am now about guitars and such, and so probably would've bought a normal acoustic and fitted a pickup or something myself. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't buy the same again, id opt for a top of the line Richwood jumbo or something, as I really am a big fan of Richwoods. My favourite feature is probably the binding. I think it really sets the guitar off, and defines the edges and such a lot better than black binding or something. Like I said before, I wish it had a greater number of bands on the EQ, but I don't care that much. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr 100 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 01/16/2016