Herringbone Review

manufacturer: Rogue date: 12/11/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Rogue: Herringbone
It's an unbelievable price for a 12-string guitar that doesn't skimp on features. Sitka spruce top, mahogany back and sides, dovetail neck joint, scalloped bracing, rosewood fretboard with dot markers, die-cast tuners, plus herringbone binding and rosette. It comes equipped with Martin strings, and, best of all, it's a 12-string.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 1,528
reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Herringbone Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 11, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I picked this 12-string guitar up as a B-stock from Musician's Friend a little over a year ago. It has a sitka top with mahogany back and sides. The fretboard is made of rosewood and it has a very tasteful Herringbone binding. It is offered in the natural and black finish; I got the black one. It is an acoustic guitar, not an acoustic-electric. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds very good for being less than $100, even the non-b-stock guitars are only a bit over $100. I usually play rock and metal, but it is nice to play acoustic now and then. Very easy guitar to play and is perfect for a person Who is looking to learn on a 12-string but doesn't want to break the bank. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was setup really well from the factory. It's only flaw was an imperfection on the back of the guitar, which is why I got it so cheap. No big deal, especially when I'm the only one Who sees it. One of the tuning pegs is kind of noisy, but it just needed a shot of lubrication. Finish looks nice and seems like it will last awhile. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't know how this guitar will play Live, especially since it's not an acoustic-electric. But it does play nice for the price and seems reliable enough for being an entry-level 12-string. The one strap button is solid, I use a strap that goes under the strings on the headstock since it only has one strap button. The finish seems like it will last, the imperfection on the back hasn't gotten any worse. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal music, but it's nice to have a 12-string for parties, etc. I've been playing guitar for a few years now and this is my first 12-string, 2nd acoustic guitar. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably buy another one, especially if I got another deal on one. However, I would also consider getting an acoustic-electric 12-string, it would make it easier to play live and amplify. // 10

Herringbone Reviewed by: hhr, on september 26, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Not sure of what year this particular acoustic guitar was made, but I bought it Brand New last week. I know it was made in China. It has 20 frets. This guitar has a Sitka spruce top, mahogany back and sides, dovetail neck joint, scalloped bracing, rosewood fretboard, die-cast tuners, as well as herringbone binding and rosette. I spent the extra $30 and bought the black finish, but Musician's Friend offers the natural finish for $99USD. No accessories were included with the guitar. // 10

Sound: For being a relatively low-budget 12-string acoustic guitar, I was really impressed with the sound it produces. I play mainly rock music, but having an acoustic guitar around is never a bad idea. I decided I wanted to add a 12-string to my collection and didn't want to break the bank. The guitar has a very full sound and no dead spots at all on the neck, plus it came with a set of Martin strings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came with a perfect set-up from the factory. Most 12-string acoustic guitars have a really high action that needs to be adjusted but this one did not have that problem at all. The finish on the guitar is flawless as well. The accented binding adds a nice touch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems very rugged for an acoustic guitar. However, it is not an acoustic-electric guitar so I don't think I would ever use it Live. Only one strap button, so a tying strap is required. Like I said above, the finish on this guitar is flawless. This does not look like a $130 guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock and metal music, but I like to jam acoustically as well. I'm also a student, so buying low-budget gear is a must and this guitar is well worth the money. If this guitar were stolen, I would definitely buy another one. For the price of this guitar, you cannot find better quality. I have no complaints about this guitar. Two of my friends have 12-string acoustic guitars (one a Fender, one an Ibanez) that they spent three times as much on, and this guitar sounds just as good if not better. I only wish this guitar was an acoustic-electric. // 10

Comments