RA-100D review by Rogue

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Rogue: RA-100D

Purchased from: musician's friend website

The guitar is a beginner's guitar. It's the best you can get for under $200, but it's certainly not my Cort. I'm giving it a 7 because it's so good for the price. The tone is nice and pretty, but it gets muddled. I'd say that this is also an amazing beater: if you are already a good guitar player, you can wail on it and it sounds good, and you can take it camping or leave it in the car or whatever. It's only $80 if you wreck it.

I got this to learn on. I have chronic tendinitis, so when it came time to start barring and such frequently, I had to move on. That said, it's the best you can get for under $200, it's a great beginner guitar to see if you like guitar, or a great guitar to wail on and beat the crap out of. I can't really complain or ask for more for the price. Also, shipping was free, which meant it was actually just $80. I compared the reviews for this guitar to every single sub-$200 guitar I could find, though I didn't play any others. I spent about 10 hours' research on it. If you find a better one, then I'm a total fool.

I'd use it as a beater. It only has one strap button, on the bottom, but it's rock solid. It has a pick guard. I have no idea how long the finish would last, but the lacquer isn't too thick and is evenly applied. It stays reasonably in tune for 2-3 days, so taking it camping is actually reasonable. Again, here's a bit of filler so it will let me submit this.

I had a luthier set it up. I'd recommend either pro setup, or some DIY work. A truss rod adjustment and nut and bridge filing would fix the action good, though it wasn't too terrible coming out of the box. Mine came with a slightly twisted neck with a small hump; this caused the B string to be a bit flat and the tuning got a bit wobbly around the 10th fret or so. However, a friend who got one had a perfectly straight neck and no hump, so I guess it's a crapshoot for QC. On the plus, neither had any fret buzz whatsoever.

Mine was a 2009, probably made in China. It's a laminated top, fat neck, dreadnought-style, black guitar. Cheap plastic bridge, no electronics. The tuners are better than expected for the price. There isn't really that much more to say. It's $80 after all. Here are some filler words so it will let me submit this.

ZA58
    thanks I have been looking into a cheap traveling guitar
    Rodney Rocket
    I wouldn't consider a Rouge the best guitar under $200. I would give it to a Alvarez RD6,RD8 or even a Jasmime by Takamine S-34C
    wanksta
    Stagg, im sorry. not good as travelling guitars since massively big, but amazing low-range sound.
    Valenten
    Oh, hell, I didn't quote the right man -_-. I meant :
    Time Seller wrote: There are many better guitars cheaper than $200. You are a total fool.
    Valenten
    CTGraphixGuy wrote: Are we really reviewing $80 guitars on this forum? Really?
    * This is definitely Right, you can at least get some cool yamahas guitars for this price
    medoda
    I thought I was reading a review for a real musical instrument. ''I was mistaken''
    medoda
    thought I was reading a review for a real musical instrument ''I was wrong''