D-2 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 06/14/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Samick: D-2
It matches any music style as long as you're playing rhythm. The sound is almost perfect, it offers everything a fine Dreadnought would.
 7.3
 7.6
 3,120
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
D-2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2012

Features: Indonesia. 20 frets. No cutaway makes it only playable up till 14th fret. Dreadnought. // 7

Sound: I don't have any negative comments about the sound as it perfectly suits any kind of music you could play with an acoustic. I play progressive rock, ballads, heavy metal and some jazz. Of course, the Dreadnought body gives it a rich and full sound but not very bright, which is very good for rhythm-playing but not for lead. I've equipped it with some elixir strings which basically improves the sound by 80%. I've also installed a Fishman pickup and play with a small Roland Cube 15-XL amplifier. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got this guitar, the action was pretty high, but this shouldn't be a big problem as you can lower it. I don't like the plastic pins that gives it a "cheap" feel. When I first bought this guitar, everything was fine, but 5 months later, a huge and very annoying buzz appeared on the 2nd fret of my A string. I got it fixed by re-tuning the fret board but it seems the buzz is growing again. The body seems to be very strong as this guitar has survived many travels without a hard case. The rosette around the sound hole looks sublime. I've came across many other acoustic guitars that are much easier to play; this one feels kind of "tight" which doesn't help for bends. Apart from this, it is quite comfortable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar sure does withstand live playing and I have experienced it. As I said before the wood seems to be very solid and will no doubt last. There is only one strap button which I have replaced by the pickup's input. // 9

Overall Impression: It matches any music style as long as you're playing rhythm. If you're a lead guitarist, then this guitar won't do it. Dreadnoughts are made for rhythm. The sound is almost perfect, it offers everything a fine Dreadnought would but it has several issues (buzz and a ridiculously long sustain for the B string). I have been playing this guitar only for a year and even with all the issues I could depend on this thing. I would highly recommend it for beginners but advanced players should deserve more. // 7

Comments