D-4 CE Eden Plains review by Samick

Samick: D-4 CE Eden Plains

This is a great sounding guitar, plugged in or not. I prefer to play it unplugged as an acoustic though. The sounds are very rich and clear and it can get pretty loud - even when you're trying to play quietly. My musical style is rock, I can do anything from strumming GNR or Oasis songs to practicing the delicate pickings of Eric Clapton on this guitar and they sound awesome. The electro part is also fun to play around with.

I've been playing for about 2 years now. I've been borrowing acoustics from other people to play around with for a while now and now I finally have my own. This is a great guitar definately worth trying if you are looking to buy an electro/acoustic. Samick is trying to reinvent its image and with Greg Bennett designed guitars, it might just work. This guitar proves to be a good looking guitar that provides rich sounds. I compared this guitar to a few Fenders and Takamines but for this price, I found this guitar to be the best sounding and looking one. I like that the headstock is fairly unique that separates it from others. I wish it had a second strap button however, just a personal preference.

Played this outside at camp, jamming with friends, etc. and this guitar seems to withstand. There is however, only one strap button on this guitar which is where the plug goes in for the electric aspect. You will have to tie the other end of the strap to the headstock. The finish looks like it will last for a while. Very reliable guitar.

When I bought the guitar, the action was really high. Not sure if it was factory setup or store. I had to get this readjusted and it didn't cost anything so that was fine. The laminated top is very glossy and shows any scratches you may have accumlated fairly easily.

The D4CE is part of Samick's Greg Bennett designed guitars. This dreadnought cutaway electro/acoustic is crafted in Indonesia. The body is a laminated Ash. The guitar has a 20-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl inlays. The headstock is a unique Greg Bennet design complete with Grover tuners. Electronics include a Clear Wave 10 4-band active EQ, volume controller and a built-in tuner. You can get this guitar in black, red, or blue. Hardcase and strings were included as well.

JacobLampman
    I already paid for this guitar and played it at a store, and after reading this review I think I made a good choice.
    a fret so
    Love the Greg Bennett series!! For under $20, I just had my friendly neighborhood luthier add a 2nd Strap button to that solid joint between body & fret board. Much better!
    doug.henninger
    I bought a 'used' one at SamAsh that was probably a return. Red trans over ash figured wood body and good electronics that include a phase choice. Detects tuning down 1/2 step which I use. VERY nice guitar just like new with stock Grovers for $180 and sounds better than the good Epiphones at hundreds more (and I have owned them). Grovers alone is a big boost, but mine was set up already by a pro luthier at this SamAsh  (Richmond, VA) and with .011-.052 D'Addario set, it is dreamy.... a strong and beefy smooth midrange, good strong and firm bass and pretty trebles. Lots of natural sustain. And this is the worst it will ever sound because I will replace the compensated (!) plastic saddle with a bone one and that WILL kick it up a notch. A lovely budget guitar, subdued red is not my fave, but I'll get over it. As the Motown producer said... " Man, the hit's in the grooves ". This is a budget priced yet damn nice A/E.