RS-1000 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 07/27/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Schecter: RS-1000
It features set-neck, spruce top, maple sides & back, maple neck w/rosewood, 21-medium frets, white pearl stars & moons inlay, white binding, Grover tuners, chrome hardware, gloss black finish.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 6.2
 6.8
 5.6
 3,273
reviews (2) pictures (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
RS-1000 Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on march 08, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar shop in town.

Features: This guitar has no electronics as it is an acoustic but makes it up with other features, for example: the look is cool with the neat gloss black finish and really attractive especially when bought new. There are 21 medium frets. It has a maple/rosewood neck/fingerboard. It has a set neck and has 'white pirl' and 'stars and moons' inlays which arn't really much needed. Binding: white, tuners: Grover, bridge: classic and hardware: chrome. Finally a spruce top w/maple sides and back. There wasn't any included accessories when I bought it except the guy suggested a plectrum or strap which I'd already got. It doesn't have all the gadgets of an electric guitar. I think it is perfect in shape and doesn't need all the stuff to improve it's sound. It's all just in right place. // 6

Sound: The steel strings change the sound a bit. More of a electric guitar sound than an acoustic, you'll see what I mean just when you strum it. The sound has that edge that you really need for playing. It is actually quite loud for an acoustic. You can't really complain. Between frets 16-21 the sound isn't as good (apart from the last string), starts to lack quality ans sounds a bit dull overall. You need someone like Jack Johnson to play this guitar and then it'd sound more professional than it already will be when you play it (even if your a beginner). Chords sound good in Harmony but not realy for pulling off solos on. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: You can slide up and down on the frets but after a while your fingers turn red and start to burn like mad. This is because the strings are steel. Everything's pretty much in perfect pisition so the set-up in the factory was good. Schecter have been going on creating new guitars for a long time and this is probably their best acoustic. There isn't any downers to this product of theirs; it's still kept their to their standards even if it is an acoustic. A word of advice when playing on this: 'try not to slide up and down 'cause your fingers just hurt with the friction of the steel strings. You don't have to be an expert to spot that this is ver ysuitable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well live playing would be fine if you play simple chord structures but it is not really designed for rocking out on. It's quite annoying that the only place you can put the strap on is just the one place and then the other side has to go on one of the tuning pegs, but still stays on and feels secure and you wouldn't think it might just suddenly fall off. So, the strap buttons or button I should say is solid. You can depend on it but I'm not too sure as recently a string went completely out of tune (lucky I didn't brake that string) maybe because it fell when layed against yhe wall. Yeh the finish is great and can last stays in mint condish. If you did some chords without any backup it'd still sound great. // 7

Overall Impression: This acoustic guitar is excellent first guitar for beginners and can improve your ideas. Has a completely unique sound and can match loads of styles and sound good whoever's playing this. It suits me very well. I havn't been playing very long and this was my first proper guitar. I've learnt from it and it's helped me. I don't think there's anything I should of asked for except a strap because what else do you need except the guitar, pick, strap and maybe a case? If it were lost I'd buy it again because it has a nice feel and totally addictive and suits all genres of music. I chose this one in the shop just basically 'cause of the sound when I tried it out and how it stood out from the other guitars when you look at it. I love it's smooth sound and finish and that any style suits it but I hate that it hursts your fingers after only a few minutes of playing. It's got an electric sortof sound. I just wish it had a plce to put a amp in. // 9

RS-1000 Reviewed by: filthypit, on july 27, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Shop

Features: Purchased new 7/25/12 ~ classic dreadnaught body ~ made in China ~ gloss black finish ~ this guitar has no electronics ~ this guitar has no accessories... This is a no-frills guitar of about medium quality. Its priced correctly, in my opinion. // 6

Sound: It has no electronics but plays pretty loud for a smaller acoustic. My experience level is: been playing since 1977. The factory strings are quite noisey (very "bright") but not much bottom end on this one. Its an acoustic guitar so I wouldn't expect it to be much of a rocker. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up pretty good. No flaws, however this is definately a no-frills guitar. My only complaint might be, the headstock decorations are positioned a little high-up ~ which is messed-up because one of the good things about Schecter's is they do have a cool headstock shape. It was the first thing I noticed when I opened the package. And the fretboard decorations (which are inlaid m.o.p.) are not particularly smooth. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is a brand new guitar I just unpacked so... Its reliability remains to be seen. Its a basic made in China (kind'a crappy) guitar, but made fun by the fact its a Robert Smith model. No, I would not use it to play live; frankly I would be embarrassed to. Its more of an expensive toy or novelty ~ akin to your favorite childhood pop-star lunchbox. // 1

Overall Impression: I've owned many high-end guitars ($2k+) and I would say this guitar is pretty decent, right outta the box. I'm very happy with the factory set-up and pleasantly surprised by the loudness of what I'd consider to be a smaller acoustic. I will change the strings straight away because the factory strings are brutal (D'Addarrio's sound/feel much nicer). Its got a no-frills body structure, typical of Chinese guitars... But the fretboard decorations are cool & very 'Robert Smith'. I would definitely recommend this guitar to anyone looking for a mid-grade import. It certainly isn't the nicest guitar I own but as a HUGE Cure fan, its a really fun guitar to have ~ I consider it to be the modern equivalent to my Saun Cassidy lunchbox! // 7

Comments